• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Hey Mark,
Hmm, good point about increased energy being wasted if you have a standing wave that's canceling out a frequency range. Not sure but your logic makes sense that an equalizer might not help.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, warriorant85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• warriorant85's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
warriorant85 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
No worries! I'm game for experimentation!!! Anyway, isn't that part of the fun of this hobby? :laugh: In truth, I love this GoldenEar system, regardless of the rooms imperfections... :)
Speakers: Triton 1s L/R, SCXXL, Triton 5s side, Monitor Audio 3is rear, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub
Pre/Pro: Nuforce MCP-18, Onkyo PR-SC5507
Amps: Odyssey Stratos Extreme monoblocks L/R, Outlaw Audio 7700
Sources: Oppo BDP-105D, Music Hall 5.0 w/Goldring 1012GX, SB Touch
Display: Epson 5010 UB, SI 106"
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Hi Pbgalvin,

I thought I had successfully submitted a reply yesterday, but the gist of it was that I'll experiment to see if any of these options has a preferred outcome. Regardless, thanks to you and everyone else for your suggestions!!!

Mark
Speakers: Triton 1s L/R, SCXXL, Triton 5s side, Monitor Audio 3is rear, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago

warriorant85 wrote: Another thought I was wondering about was that, if these deep dropouts are created by nodes (cancellations), wouldn't increasing acoustic energy at those frequencies also increase the cancelling energy and create a no win situation, unless using bass traps?

Mark,

It truly depends on what you have going on. I have some issues in my space as well but my Anthem AVM 60 is able to do wonders with the frequencies below 120 Hz! The issues I have are up in the 100 to 300 Hz range where I believe I have some comb filtering or speaker boundary interference. The AVM 60 is not able to correct these issues for the reason you've stated above, as I understand it.

Acoustics can be extremely tricky. If you have an expert in your area and you're considering acoustic treatments, I'd highly recommend bringing in a professional to assist you with your setup and in picking out the right treatments and best locations in your space. I tried doing this via telephone and e-mail with a vendor and the results were not as good as I had hoped.

I think my preferred solutions in priority order would be speaker placement, room treatments, and digital sound processing. The results I have achieved with ARC2 on my Anthem has been far better than what I was getting with Audessey XT32. The quick measure feature is a great tool to help tweak speaker positioning and treatment placement.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: warriorant85

Hi T Cobe,

I like your order of priority for addressing the room issues. Adjusting the front speaker positions is not really an option, due to space. I may try some room treatments, but probably not for a while. As far as hiring a professional, it wouldn't make sense for us until after we have moved and determined what the acoustics are like in the new environment. I will likely pickup an inline DSP device such as a MiniDSP or DSPeaker unit to help address some of the issues. My analog sources do not route through the Onkyo prepro, so I don't currently have any room correction processing in that mode. However, in home theater mode, I do apply the Onkyo's Audyssey XT processing for all speakers. As far as moving to a newer prepro, it won't be a priority until we replace our projector with a 4k HDR unit in a few years.

Thx,

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• jcbudny's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 61
jcbudny Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Just to chime in on the conversation, I recently treated my media room with acoustic panels and bass traps and the difference was remarkable. Most notably in imaging and sound clarity. From my personal experience I feel acoustic panels are a worthwhile investment to get the most out of your gear.
7.2.4: Triton Ref Towers (L/R), SuperCenter XXL (C), SuperSat 3's (Surr), Triton 5 Towers (R Surr) & Invisa HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Amp: Outlaw Audio 7700 & Emotiva Gen 3 (Ceiling)
Display: Epson 5040UB + Screen Innovations Series 7 Zero Edge Black Diamond 110"
The following user(s) said Thank You: warriorant85

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back