file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Another listening session with Ronny Smith / Can't stop Now

Who else is using the Oppo 105 XLR outputs directly to their amps? This is a wonderful hookup scenario, I'm in no hurry to put the PrimaLuna preamp back in the system. If I wasn't married I'd listen all night long...it's that good.

Check out track 10 "Popped Off"...my Triton's do the "HAPPY DANCE" on this song.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Hey Bro Anthem,
I would put some bricks on top of the Tritons, stop them dancing around the room!!!!
Glad you are enjoying your tunes bro!!!!
Blessings,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The past two days I've been listening to two CD's over & over again.

Charlie Hunter Trio/bing, bing, bing!
Gerald Albright/ Just between us

I've been going back & forth between XLR & RCA on the Oppo 105. I'm using Audioquest/Cheetah XLR, 1 meter $1000.00 a pair & for RCA I'm using Monster, 2 meter $50.00 a pair. After going back and forth over various tracks time & time again, I'm not so sure I can really hear a difference. Both CDs are loaded with plenty of sax and initially I thought the XLR sounded better but after comparing the two ...I don't know. Through both XLR & RCA saxophones do not have a black background. There seems to be some form of distortion/hash/ghosting in the midrange ...this has frustrated me through the years. Crappy recording? I'm still looking for a tube amp, I've been told this could help. Perhaps, Wayne, I should give up saxophones....dream on. ;)

To make a long story short, the Oppo 105 (playing CDs) is a fantastic player in both XLR & RCA..I think anyone would be hard pressed to hear a difference.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
SanthoshEapen Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Wayne, I have finally figured out why the "crickets" may be hiding when you play Chris Jones's "Roadhouses and Automobiles". I recently replayed that song and the crickets I had easily heard before were silent! It turns out that I was listening at night with the volume low. To hear the crickets, you have to turn the volume UP! :woohoo: Try that and let me know if you can hear the crickets clearly. :laugh:
Blessings.
Santhosh

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Bro Anthem,
When I went to XLR balanced connections I got a 3 dB gain. Does that happen for you, are you taking that into account, turning it down to match gain for comparison? Coming out of the Oppo you may NOT get that, since the Oppo is not really a fully balanced approach.
Bro Santhosh, great to see you back, been missing your comments.
YES, when I turn it up loud I too can hear the crickets. Barely. I can hear the ringing in my ears better than that, my wife washing dishes in the other room, the A/C and ceiling fan in the home theater are all trying to mask it, but I can hear em.
I can tell you from experience, that a REAL cricket in the room is WAY WAY louder and MUCH easier to hear.
I am thinking these crickets were accidentally recorded or incidentally included, I would hate to think that if they were meant to be heard for effect that he couldn't have put em on the track a little bit louder. ha ha
Anyway, glad for my forum buddies here.
God Bless you,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I've been listening to some "way cool" music...

Brian Culbertson / It's on tonight (2005)

Track 9 "Secret Affair" is trance like...sound coming from the Triton 2's travels down the side walls and into the rear of the room...grabs my attention. Piano, sax, trumpet, keyboards, guitar and great bass. The bass on this CD is reproduced correctly by the Tritons. A great CD from a talented pianist. Using Emotiva xpa-1's > Oppo 105 (XLR)

Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back