file Currently playing

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 9 months ago

Moderator wrote: Wife just brought home the LP, looking forward to hearing it. I'll let you all know if the recording is the issue.

But ... I really hope all the songs are not dreary and sad ballads ... what's she so damn unhappy about anyway, Ms. I-Saved-the-record-industry-this-year-because-I-sold-more-albums-than-anyone-ever?! Can't we go Rolling in the Deep again, maybe, just a little??

Money, success, all pale to love, which knows little of either. Its about screwing a good thing up...regret. Our out of control world is full of people who can identify. She is an artist....sometimes the most amazing creations come from pain. So...what does she have to be unhappy about? My guess is the human condition...growing pains as she learns (like the rest of us) how to evolve from a dysfunctional expression of love, to a healthy one. That is beyond how much money she has made...how much fame she has. Pain...the great equalizer and teacher. I am OK with sadness expressed....as I am with happiness. Our emotions are who we are.....and great fodder for the canvas of any artist.
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Oh....and for what it's worth....I rarely listen to pop music. I avoid mass media (radio and TV) like the plague (and it IS the plague for me) That was my first time hearing that song, and only like the 3rd song I have heard from her. She has an amazing voice, the music is well produced. I might even dip my toe into her musical archives and discover who she is as an artist. Thanks for posting it!!

Roman
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

Money, success, all pale to love, which knows little of either. Its about screwing a good thing up...regret. Our out of control world is full of people who can identify. She is an artist....sometimes the most amazing creations come from pain. So...what does she have to be unhappy about? My guess is the human condition...growing pains as she learns (like the rest of us) how to evolve from a dysfunctional expression of love, to a healthy one. That is beyond how much money she has made...how much fame she has. Pain...the great equalizer and teacher. I am OK with sadness expressed....as I am with happiness. Our emotions are who we are.....and great fodder for the canvas of any artist.

Well said, Roman. Perhaps spoken with some insight... Whatever the source of her pain, her anguish is palpable in her vocals and present throughout 25. No Rolling In The Deep on this album, but there are some great songs. Happy, or sorrowful listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Roman Johnston

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Just joking, I'm sure that's all correct and then some...

In follow up, LP was awful, I'll have to get the CD or an HD download now to see if it was just the LP or if it is the recording. It was so bad I actually pulled out a reference LP just to make sure something in my phono payback systems wasn't broken. Very dark overall, lacking in any high frequency "air", edgy midrange (radio hit was the worst, other cuts were a bit better). The only good thing was the bass, lots of good and very low bass on several cuts. Although primarily sad ballads, there were some more upbeat songs. By contrast, I thought "21" was very well recorded. Who knows, could have been a bad vinyl master...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
I got the joke. I think your feelings are those of many parents in dealing with teenage angst. Being on top of the world before your 20th birthday should provide some measure of comfort... Enough for a happy song or two on an entire album.

Thanks for the feedback on the SQ. I'm not sure the CD is much different. I can hear what your describing in the CD as well. There were definite high and low spots to the recording quality. There were even a few places Adele's voice didn't sound all that great. How can you take a voice like that and screw it up?! It wasn't so bad as to be intolerable, but playing a few reference tracks afterwards provided for some stark contrast! Maybe you will find a better version. If you do, please share.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hey Moderator Dude,
I like your sense of humor, thought I responded in kind.
Keep em coming. I thought 21 was very well recorded and love the songs.
Soooo funny here in Thailand girls sadly singing Why don't you remember??? and hoping he will come back to them, when she is saying remember WHY you LEFT me and leave me once more!!!!! Cracks me up!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back