file Currently playing

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Yup, Leonard Cohen's "Songs from the Road" DVD is on it's way here also....from...Amazon. Previewed it on Deezer, loved it, ordered the DVD version from Amazon.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Rick,

Yeah, Jordan Smith is amazing. He has a golden voice for sure. I was blown away the first time I heard him sing. If pop music wasn't so image centric, he would be a phenom! I hope he is able to get a contract, I would love to hear more from him.

I'm back on the Virgil Fox Bach Gamut tonight. I was having some issues with the bass as well as some hollowed out vocals using my Oppo 103 analog outputs. I went in and read the manual, which should always be step one with setting up any system, and discovered I had my down mix on 7.1. In other words, it was trying to convert my stereo music to 7.1 and then only playing on my T1s. It sounded okay on some recordings and off on others. Most noticeably, on this recording the bass I once had was missing. Well, it's back in all its glory. There really is nothing like a pipe organ through the T1s! I'll report back more later on the differences in sound.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

Yeah, Jordan Smith is amazing. He has a golden voice for sure. I was blown away the first time I heard him sing. If pop music wasn't so image centric, he would be a phenom! I hope he is able to get a contract, I would love to hear more from him.

I'm back on the Virgil Fox Bach Gamut tonight. I was having some issues with the bass as well as some hollowed out vocals using my Oppo 103 analog outputs. I went in and read the manual, which should always be step one with setting up any system, and discovered I had my down mix on 7.1. In other words, it was trying to convert my stereo music to 7.1 and then only playing on my T1s. It sounded okay on some recordings and off on others. Most noticeably, on this recording the bass I once had was missing. Well, it's back in all its glory. There really is nothing like a pipe organ through the T1s! I'll report back more later on the differences in sound.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

I agree about Jordan Smith. The first time I heard him I wondered if I was hearing another Roy Orbison type voice... he even has similar thick black framed glasses!!

Re your OPPO set-up, I can sympathize completely. After I had added the analog RCA interconnects for my OPPO (six for 7.1 surround downmixed to 5.1, and 2 for stereo), I made the mistake of playing several CD's still set-up for 5.1 analog surround, receiver in pure bypass, and it didn't sound so hot.. same issues, minimal bass, so so mid range, and then I noticed I hadn't changed the input on the Marantz back to "auto". Whew!

Enjoy the Bach Gamut! The music is gorgeous, the bass magnificent.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Well alright, it amazes me how totally I agree with you two Rick and T. Cobe.
Jordan Smith has an amazing voice, did you hear his "Great is Thy Faithfulness"? WOW!!!!!!!
I am a fan!!!!!!
Of course, I have never made a mistake like you two did on hooking up my gear! ha ha, we all have made these mistakes.
BUT you are hurting me on these reports of the bass on your Ones. OUCH!!!!!
Enjoy boys,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Listening to Adele's new album: 25. You can't turn the radio on these days without hearing Hello. Adele has an amazing and unique voice. To me, there is no doubt when I'm listening to a new Adele song. She is often imitated on the vocal competitions on network television but seldom replicated. Similar to Pink in my experience. Besides Adele's amazing vocals, I am taken by the bass on this album. So far I am really liking what I'm hearing and I anticipate several top 40 hits off of this album.

Since the album is so new, there are not many options on YouTube but listening to Hello on the T1s is amazing. The purity of Adele's vocals and the power of the bass line are two important attributes that I've been missing on mediocre radio playback. Recording quality isn't the greatest on the CD. I can hear a little bit of distortion during the loudest crescendos of her vocals but it still sounds great.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Wife just brought home the LP, looking forward to hearing it. I'll let you all know if the recording is the issue.

But ... I really hope all the songs are not dreary and sad ballads ... what's she so damn unhappy about anyway, Ms. I-Saved-the-record-industry-this-year-because-I-sold-more-albums-than-anyone-ever?! Can't we go Rolling in the Deep again, maybe, just a little??
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back