• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
OK, I'm about to enter more into the world of surround sound music. Yes. I do listen to enhanced stereo (I love that also), but that is 2 channel stuff sent via digital processing to surround speakers but still is 2 channels duplicated on multiple speakers vs. separate channels for each speaker set in true surround mode.

I have limited real surround music: Ray Charles"s "Genius Loves Company" from Monster, Franz Schubert's "Octet in F Major" from Tacet (thanks, Wayne). But I really want to add to the collection. I just love surround music.

So, my question. When I do searches, there is still limited stuff available in surround format, and several formats: SACD, Pure Audio Blu-ray. DVD 5.1 Audio (Tacet), Monster SuperDisc...

Any thoughts on which format is best?

I just ordered 2L's "Nordic Sound" in both SACD and Super Audio Blu-ray discs, just because the reviews said it was so exceptional as a reference piece. It has an assortment of music styles, from jazz (anthem) to classical (Wayne). I'll report on how it sounds in both formats after I get it.

I'm going to audition some OPPO players in a couple weeks to potentially replace both my NAD CD player and my Panasonic Blu-ray DVD player ((yes, I know I said I was almost done with equipment changes, but I REALLY want to expand my surround music collection, and add SACD playing capability).

Any/all thoughts/comments welcome.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Rick,

Great questions on the surround sound music. I haven't had much experience in this area but would like to test the waters with some of the recommendations from you, Wayne, and other forum members.

I have owned a couple of Oppo Blu-Ray players and they have both been great. Both units have also been very reliable compared to other Blu-Ray players I have owned. I currently own the 103D and use it for all my disc spinning needs. Not only is it great for movies, but it also seems to have a very capable DAC and plays music beautifully!

When the next generation of UHD disc players from Oppo comes around, I will go with the 105 equivalent. Hopefully Anthem can expand about how good this player is but everything I have read leads me to believe this is the one player solution for audiophiles on a budget. I would upgrade sooner but read the next gen from Oppo may be released as early as the Holiday season. That's definitely worth a two month wait for me. In the meantime, I've got my sights set on the soon to be released Marantz AV7702 mkII.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Great post and questions Rick!!!!
I believe you and I are coming to be in the same boat. Surround sound music is where it is at, IMHO. In fact, my two channel listening is now almost entirely by headphone. Why waste a pair of T 3s, a pair of T 7s, a SC-X and a FF5 all sitting around doing nothing, playing POS, poor old stereo?
As a bit of a reference, you probably already know, but Kal Rubinson at Stereophile mag writes a column "Music in the round" which is great reading, he recommends great surround music (I just bought and hope to write about one soon) and equipment.
I remember when "STEREOPHONIC sound" was introduced. I feel the same way about surround over stereo as I did then about stereo over mono!!!! Giddyup, there is a whole new Brave New World out there!!!!!
Rick you have hit on (and T. Cobe commented well on) the easiest part of the plan. Get an Oppo!!!! I have 2 and they are both still playing strong in 2 different rooms, the 83SE and the 95. Both have the "audiophile" bits which give balanced and unbalanced (at least the 95 does, have not looked behind the 83SE in ages) outputs and can play ANYTHING!!!! And play it well. Is it the equal of a $19,000 dCS Pucinni? Not hardly. [Have any of you heard music through one of these? Incredible!!!!!] But it can't play blu-ray movies either! So to me the Oppo is the BEST at having your cake and eating it too.
I have a tubed CD player (with single ended output) and my Oppo 95 going head to head with it gives me at least 95% of the sound quality (to my poor ears) when played single ended, but when I hook the Oppo up balanced that easily makes up for that 5% loss and I can almost not hear any difference. BUT that tubed CD player can ONLY PLAY CDs. No SACDs, no DVD-Audio, no Blu-ray or DVDs. It is not a fair comparison at all. The Oppo is almost a must have for surround sound on a budget.
Getting surround sound music is a whole nuther problem.
And this is my MAIN hold back on moving to file based music. HD Tracks and other music file based providers are not geared up for surround sound. That keeps me coming back to the shiny discs. There is nothing better than a great blu-ray IMHO.
I just got a few SACDs, and Blu-ray concerts from Amazon that I will report on, but sadly for most of you guys, they are all classical music and I know these are not everyone's cup of coffee.
Happy hunting, and please share Rick and all.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Roger Waters - Amused to Death (1991) has been re-released and re-mastered for 5.1 surround sound on Bluray in July 2015. I recently acquired a copy but haven't listened to it yet.

Here's a 6-min video discussing it

7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi T Cobe, Amazon has the new Marantz AV7702Mk2 available and on Prime. You can have in 2 days!!!!

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
You sure you want this MKii versus the SR7010? The SR7010 has a built-in amplifier but is very close to the MKii in terms of features, aside from not having the balanced pre-outs. Even though I have external amplification, I still need 4 of the channels to run all 11-channels of surround sound.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back