file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by anthem. info_outline
This morning I've been listening to Frank Catalano from his Cut it Out (1998) cd. I've not been able to access any of the songs on this cd, either through YouTube or Amazon. When I purchased Cut it Out, I took a chance (without hearing) and it paid off. This is an splendid piece of work that truly showcases Catalano's talent.

Murphyslaw1978 & T Cobe...if you ever get a chance and have a way of accessing this CD please do you'll be rewarded for your efforts, this guy can play. Everytime I put this CD on my wife gets all giddy with excitement. She is amazed at his playing ability for such a young age.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago

anthem wrote: This morning I've been listening to Frank Catalano from his Cut it Out (1998) cd. I've not been able to access any of the songs on this cd, either through YouTube or Amazon. When I purchased Cut it Out, I took a chance (without hearing) and it paid off. This is an splendid piece of work that truly showcases Catalano's talent.

Murphyslaw1978 & T Cobe...if you ever get a chance and have a way of accessing this CD please do you'll be rewarded for your efforts, this guy can play. Everytime I put this CD on my wife gets all giddy with excitement. She is amazed at his playing ability for such a young age.

anthem, anthem

I am amazed at the enormity of the music collection you have. Perhaps you have described it before and I missed it... is it CD only? CD plus vinyl? any streamed 16 bit stuff? Your supply seems endless! I'm jealous!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Absolutely right, Rick. I have joked before that Anthem's collection is so large it must have it's own zip code. I can't wait to have my equipment upgrades complete so I can start building my library. Wayne and Anthem both have a collection of music and movies to aspire too.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Listening to the jazz funksters from Baltimore MD. Bona Fide/Soul Lounge (2005) -- Deep Chill. This cd is a bit bass heavy, but not bad.

Rick...Mr. T has gone overboard on his assumption of my cd collection. I wish it had its own zip code, but regrettably it doesn't. I have about 300 jazz cds at best. A hugh collection, in my opinion, is 1000 plus. CD's, for now, are my drug of choice, but that could change tomorrow...ya never know what's around the corner. I don't stream and I haven't done vinyl in years. The cost and care of maintaining an record collection, just doesn't make sense. Besides, the way my room is set up, I don't have room for a turntable.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sound is in the ear of the Beholder. Listening to Lee Morgan/Sidewinder (1963) -- Totem Pole.

Thursday night I was listening to this cd, especially the first three songs. I had the Torri running directly to the Oppo 105 using an Military copper/silver interconnect. I noticed, on occasion, a slight brightness in the saxophone, but nothing to get overly excited about, it still sounded very good. This morning I replaced the Military interconnect with an Decware DSG (copper) interconnect and played the same 3 songs. To my ears the sax and brass sounded spot on. Now what's so funny is the wife was riding stationary bike directly behind me, and I asked her what she thought of the sound. Her response surprised me. She said it sounded kinda shrill on sections of Totem Pole...ok. I told her it sounded perfectly fine to me, but YOU hear what YOU hear. This afternoon I decided to replace the Decware DSG interconnect with an Mapleshade Clearview Excalibur Ribbon interconnect. It had great detail and very good control in the upper octaves...a fine interconnect.

I asked the wife at lunch if maybe she perceived loudness for brightness, as I was playing these songs fairly loud. She responded by saying that certain recordings when played loudly can, to her ears, sound bright. So there you have it...two people listening to the same recording can hear things differently.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Playing some familiar music this afternoon. This is Brandi Carlile's version of Hallelujah. This is a live recording from Benyroyal Hall with accompaniment from The Seattle Symphony.

I'm not sure what your listening to this on, but through my set up, Brandi's vocals are beautifully haunting. The acoustic guitar is good but when the symphony kicks in...WOW! This track really is sweet. As a bonus on the CD, there is a version of Rod Stewart's Forever Young hidden a minute or two after Hallelujah. The piano and violin the only support to Brandi's vocals. Two great covers!

Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back