• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 6 years 5 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote:

charliehatch wrote:
Now I’m wondering about my Oppo 105’s digital coax output. Since the Remedy also has coax connections, I’ll try seeing if using it in that chain will make a difference.

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Now that experiment would be of interest to me.

Rick and everyone,

I just did this experiment. I had been listening to my music files by running digital coax between my Oppo 105 and my DAC:

SSD > USB > Oppo 105 digital coax out > good digital coax > DAQ

I had an extra short RCA cable (provenance unknown, assume crappy), and I inserted it into the chain with the Remedy:

SSD > USB > Oppo 105 digital coax out> crappy RCA > W4S Remedy > good digital cable > DAQ

Result? No detectable difference, at least with my ears.

At this point I'll assume that the Oppo 105 reads in the optical and more or less passes it through to the digital out. At least that's the way it seems to behave. Only the Shadow knows what really goes on in there.

So, thankfully, I'm glad that the Oppo does well with the signals coming off my USB SSD. Saves me having to buy another Remedy.

Note that digital coax ain't the same as USB, so USB mileage may vary, as Steveo has found.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Steveo. info_outline
In relation to Jitter and hearing Jitter the ears have a funny way of ignoring certain sounds and frequencies. Basically if you have equipment that is giving you jitter and you buy devices that assist with that and you hear the improvements you wont wan to go back. As I said the Nimitra is a perfect solution for my audio and I grow with it. The Iso regen and Txultra combined with usb lush and curious cables, is icing on an already delicious cake.

Charlie and Art what USB cable are you running from your SSD harddrive into your Oppo? I got a custom built USB to SSD connector from curious cables and that to my ears gave me a nice jump over stock USB cables.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Steveo, et al;

I am in cable purgatory. I use either 12 gauge or 18 gauge lamp cord for speaker cable. I use standard RCA cables for interconnect. I use standard commercial USB cables. The only "special" cables I have are a pair of balanced audio cables between my DAC and the balanced inputs to my Cambridge 851A.

I cannot and do not plan to replace any of my speaker cables. My standard RCA cables will have to do for me. I might consider upgrading the USB cables which interconnect my PC, my external HD and my DAC.

No disrespect intended to anyone who is upgrading to the best cables that money can buy. But, that is just not my plan.

Regards to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by WayneWilmeth. info_outline
Thanks for the gracious invite Charlie, I would LOVE to take you up on it!!!!

I'm lost, I'll admit it.
And I really don't care much, as none (or not much) in this thread applies to me at all. I am just following along outta friendliness.

I have a Samsung Smart TV, but I have no idea what a smart box is????? SSD????? Well, I don't think I have that, I have practiced safe sex for a long time.
I cannot imagine calling a TV a "Smart" TV, so I cannot imagine trying to listen to music through it. Nor imagine trying to listen to music through a laptop (Oh, I can do it, but it is definitely lacking).

For example: when the discussion was hovering around the Grateful Dead a lot, I walked over to my discs and picked up the Grateful Dead's "Workingman's Dead" DVD-A disc and played it. I did not comment because I know GDHAL does not have this one, you have to actually BUY it with CASH. And because Casey Jones is about the only good cut on here and then not so much (the sound quality is pretty good).

I THINK (and I could be wrong here) I am avoiding a WHOLE LOT of the pain and agony you guys are going through by using a Pre-Processor with a decent DAC built in, feeding my amps and all I listen to. I suspect a couple of you out there may have external DACs that are better than the one in my Emotive XMC-1, maybe a lot better, how would I know? But I also expect many out there have external DACs inferior to the one built into my pre-pro. I am happy with the sound, totally happy, though I am like everyone, we always search for more/better!!!!
I also MIGHT be avoiding the problems you guys have because my hearing is not the best in the world. That is another possibility.
In any case, have fun with it all boys, happy hunting and listening.

Bro Art, Bro Art, Bro Art, I am praying for your wife and your system. You are considering spending thousands on speakers but use lamp cord to play them????? I too have to watch my funds, so I understand not going craZy on cables, but you don't have to break the bank to have decent interconnects and speaker cables. IF you want to talk to a normal human being, knowledgeable and down to earth, whose cables have been on Stereophile's recommended components list (costing WAY less than most) call 917-957-8508 and talk to FRANK.
Or email him at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Just a suggestion. Here is his website: signalcable.com/index.html
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Wayne,

Regarding speaker cables: It would be physically very difficult for me to replace my lamp cord speaker cables. When we completely rebuilt our downstairs den to create a room twice its original size (about 20 years ago), I had lamp cord for speakers and coax for signal distribution buried within the walls to distribute multi-channel signals all around the room. The presence of these many cables has enabled me to experiment with various speaker arrangements and, ultimately, to implement totally separate movie and music systems. The length of these cable runs can be measured in yards, not feet. The hidden cables bypass doors and windows.

Further complicating the matter is the fact that there are built-in shelves specifically designed to hold audio electronic gear and all of these speaker wires and cables come together "out of the walls" at this location. The TV and other video electronics sit in yet another location with buried cables between them and the audio center.

It is virtually impossible in my situation to relocate my electronics to be close to my speakers.

Therefore, whatever sound benefit I might achieve with better speaker cables would be very difficult to implement and would require either tearing out walls, or having cables lying about on the floor all over the room.

I may replace the USB cables connecting my external HD to my PC and my PC to my DAC. Both of these runs are very short because all gear is together in my audio shelf. Otherwise, I have what I have.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 5 months ago

Steveo wrote: Charlie and Art what USB cable are you running from your SSD harddrive into your Oppo? I got a custom built USB to SSD connector from curious cables and that to my ears gave me a nice jump over stock USB cables.

Steveo, the only USB links in my system are from my SSD (Solid State Drive, Wayne, no spinning parts) to my Oppo 105. There I use a short extension cable, then the cable that came with my drive. Standard default stuff, nothing exotic. I use the extension cable because I frequently disconnect the SSD.

A good question is whether there is error checking when the Oppo pulls a file from the SSD. Does the SSD controller do that? Or the Oppo? My guess is not the Oppo, so, yes there is some vulnerability there.

Boy, I wish I could look at the signal and see how things are in there...

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Fidelizer, DACs and Digital Cables