heart Power Cords

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Wayne: as Rick says, "Every situation is different." I've tried the AntiCable's directly in the wall, but don't like the sound that much. I plug the AntiCables into a Furman Elite -15 PF Power conditioner for my Oppo and Preamps, and a Emotiva CMX-6 & CMX-2 for Power amps. I really like the sound and I don't feel it interferes with the sound.
It's all trial and error. The Best place to start with an AntiCable is on your source component. If you don't hear a difference, keep what you already have and invest in something else within your system. Everyone hears differently...the AntiCables may not be for you.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 10 months ago

anthem wrote: Wayne: as Rick says, "Every situation is different." I've tried the AntiCable's directly in the wall, but don't like the sound that much. I plug the AntiCables into a Furman Elite -15 PF Power conditioner for my Oppo and Preamps, and a Emotiva CMX-6 & CMX-2 for Power amps. I really like the sound and I don't feel it interferes with the sound.
It's all trial and error. The Best place to start with an AntiCable is on your source component. If you don't hear a difference, keep what you already have and invest in something else within your system. Everyone hears differently...the AntiCables may not be for you.

Interesting stuff, Anthem

Just switched the AntiCable feeding the ATi to the Furman PL-PRO C power conditioner to see what that does....

The AntiCables feeding the Oppo and the AVR were already plugged into the Furman, and doing a great job. Just wanted to try a direct, non conditioned feed to theATi. We’ll see.

Ain’t this Audio quest fun??!!!

I’ll comment after listening for awhile.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Thanks guys,
I am glad you guys both realize that situations can be different. BUT you really peaked my interest.
I am waiting Bro Rick to see how you like the cables plugged into your conditioner.
Bro Anthem, as we discussed on this subject previously, I would love to give the AC3 reference cables a try in my system, but I just don't see them working with me that much on the 30 day trial (and I would not want to buy them outright without the possibility of returning them if I cannot hear an improvement).
I have some new ciems coming, more on that later, they were shipped out on the 12th of Oct. The postman just came and they still have not arrived. Now my freight forwarder in CA has decided to ship only one time per month. So I expect the wait for anything shipped from the States to be even longer. That is IF they get to me at all. I still have a big order from Amazon from March, along with some $500 ciem cables that is still stuck in Customs, most likely will never get that one.
It would most likely be more of a 90 day turn around to audition them here.
Oh well,
Have fun guys,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
OK, my best thoughts re power cords in general, and AntiCables in particular:

Re AntiCables: they have, for my system, in every case, made the SQ cleaner, more detailed, more natural. That's on sources (Oppo and Marantz AVR, and NAD AVR before that), and on amps (ATi525NC and and NAD before that).

Re plugging AntiCAbles into power conditioners vs. direct to wall outlet:. Anthem brought up an interesting point I had to think about. He likes his plugged into power conditioners. Come to find out with some more experimenting, so do I. I already had the cords for the Oppo and the Marantz AVR plugged into the Furman conditioner. I experimented some. Tried the ATi plugged direct into a wall outlet... sounded maybe a tad too detailed vs. musical. Moved the ATi lead to the Furman and the Marantz lead to a direct plugin. Again maybe a tad too detailed vs. musical. Moved all to the Furman. Better! I guess I would describe the effect of the AntiCables, regardless of component, is to add clarity, naturalness, without any coloration. At this point, I prefer the cables plugged into the Furman conditioner. Kind of like midway between great detail and not losing musicality.

What becomes subjective is listening preference. I tend to favor musicality over too much clinical detail. But the the clarity and detail the AntiCAbles bring is indeed mesmerizing! The closest analogy I can think of is that the AntiCables are kind of like going from copper IC's and speaker cables to something more approaching silver. The amazing clarity is addictive!!!! How much is too much and subtracting from musicality? Very subjective. For me, I really like the intermediate path of plugging the AntiCables into a power conditioner and finding a middle path that seems, for me, to satisfy both.

As always, YMMV.

Wayne, I guess my answer to you whether AntiCAbles still work connected to power conditioners (at least my Furman) is, yes, but tempered some vs. full effect when plugged into a wall receptacle direct.

Still love my Shunyata Venom 3's powering my T1 surrounds on a separate 20 amp circuit, and my 4th AntiCable, also on a separate circuit, now powering my left front T Ref. Power cords do make an audible difference. But the desirability of that difference depends on component, whether it moves the SQ in the direction of your listening preference, etc. etc.

Wish there were a simple, one size fits all answer. But there isn't. I love my AntiCAbles, but YMMV.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Bro Rick, thanks for that!!!!!
GREAT writeup, seriously!!!!!
So it seems that at least one of my concerns, about using them with a power conditioner, is gonna be alright.
Trying to determine if another DAC or disc player would be money better spent that a couple of power cords?
And then there is the issue of trying to talk Anti into letting me have a LOT longer to audition them.
THINKING.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
This threads getting a little old...

The journey continues.

Others have mentioned on this forum how revealing and transparent the T Ref's are. Amazingly so. I notice EVERYTHING more with the Ref's, from nuances/changes as cables and components break in, to sounds, instruments in music pieces I thought I'd heard enough before to know everything about. Wrong.

I started the Ref journey with AntiCable Reference 3 power cords on the Marantz AVR, and added a Reference 3 20A IEC plug in version for the Ati amp that replaced the NAD (which had a 15A plug in AntiCable version on it).

On the prior T1 front, NAD amp combo, that was a perfect blend of detail and musicality with AntiCable Reference 3 PC's on both receiver and amp. With the new Ref/ATi amp combo, detail became even more stunning. But over time, some passages with piano, or brass instruments in higher notes seemed, for lack of a better word, hard. Not harsh per se, but, well, hard. Too much of a good thing? Wasn't sure. Tried going back to stock cords, alternately on both the receiver and amp. Missed the added exquisite detail. Tried a Pangea 14SE from the "storage locker" in the garage on the receiver. Still too close to stock sound. Exchanged the Reference 3 PC for a level 2 to get a little less of a good thing that was leaning toward some hardness. Better, but not quite off the occasional hardness thing.

Cut to the end. Tried a Magic PC from Signal Cable ($80) on the receiver. Getting more musical, and still getting the detail and musicality I love. Liked it so much I ordered a second Magic PC with 20A plug in for the amp. Just plugged that in, so not broken in for sure, but lovin' where it moved the SQ. Already had Signal ULTRA speaker cable on the fronts and center. Some synergy maybe? (Thanks, Wayne, for clueing me into Signal a long time ago.) Moved 15A plug in AntiCable to power one of the Ref's.

Conclusions:

Power cords CAN change the SQ of a system. Oh, yes, they can! Whether you like the direction it goes is dependent on, among other things, listening preferences. A bunch of people could listen, on my system, to the different power cord options I tried, and reach different conclusions on what combo they liked best. I'd guess that any system with tube gear would be less prone to occasional hardness with the pricier, beefier AntiCables, and those would shine best. May also be that the AntiCables being SO transparent, on top of the Ref's amazing transparency, are exposing something further back in my system/gear that I need to address later.

For anyone thinking their system is "almost there, if only", you might want to consider trying power cords to nudge it some. And the Signal Magic PC is a pretty economical place to try one's toes in the power cord water...

So many ways to fine tune SQ in a system, from speaker cable, interconnect, power cord upgrades/changes, to changing out gear, to playing with speaker placement, toe-in, crossovers, to acoustic treatments (did some of that also). The beauty of GEt speakers is that they reward every positive step along the way. Boy, do they!

Happy listening!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back