question-circle Help me with amp for t-reference

• Lynx4ben's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Lynx4ben Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Hello,

I just purchased Triton Reference and SC XL.

Currently the only AVR I have is pioneer VSX-1131. Will this be any good? Should I upgrade?

I am 60/40 music/tv. I only have 5.1 with no plans to upgrade.

My source is streaming audio from phone and ARC from a ps4 and roku plugged into the TV. No advanced Dolby material.

I’m reading all about AVRs vs separates. A bit daunting to say the least.

My future upgrade budget would be under 2k. If I spend it I want a big difference, otherwise I would keep what I have.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Hi Lynx4ben,
Welcome here and congratulations on getting the TRefs and SC XL. You will not be sorry, or disappointed in them, they are terrific speakers.
AND, 5.1 is FINE, GREAT even. You can get all hyped up on 7.1 and ATMOS, but for most people 5.1 is a tremendous improvement over what they had and gives a VERY satisfying home theater experience. Especially when you get a Blu Ray of a concert and play it in 5.1 you will feel like you are at the concert in the very best seat!!! Especially with the TRefs and XL.
I am with you on your doubts about the Pioneer. It could be fine for TV and movies, I am not sure. BUT I can say positively, the TRefs are so great a speakers, so advanced, soooo much speaker for your money that they would shine with a better source. Especially for 2 channel music. And the concerts I just mentioned.
IF you can swing it, I would upgrade the front end. OR, you could simply get much better amps right now (take the pre outs from the Pioneer to better amps). And later upgrade to a better pre-processor that will feed those same amps and you will have a super system. Look at the Emotiva XMC-1, that is what I have and recommend, or lots of the guys here use an Anthem with separate amps.
That is what I would do. There will probably be lots of opinions coming your way, we all like to help other people spend their money and put together a superb system. Yours will be awesome!!!! You are well on your way.
IF you have more questions, pls just jump in here.
Have fun with your quest, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Lynx4ben's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
Lynx4ben Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Awesome.

Another random question. Is there any loss in codec when transmitting back to receiver via ARC? My receiver is in the basement and my sources are hooked directly to the TV.

I just realized my pioneer does not have any preamp outs. So that means I'm not adding a separate amp. Poo. It looks like I'm likely going with a new receiver to start and stay under 2K in the short-term. Ideally closer to 1K.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

Lynx4ben wrote: Hello,

I just purchased Triton Reference and SC XL.

Currently the only AVR I have is pioneer VSX-1131. Will this be any good?

That should be fine. Start there, set the system up properly and do some listening/tweaking. Then start playing upgrade, so you have a sonic starting point for your system and can determine what "more" you want. :)

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Check out Cambridge Audio. Go to Crutchfield.com and look for a Cambridge CXR 120 7.2 AV Receiver.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Great advice by all, and GREAT speaker choice!

What I have found with the T Ref's is that they make the most of everything thrown their way. I used to avoid compressed music altogether. The Ref's can find dynamics, bring out clarity where other speakers just can't, even MP3 stuff (heresy, I know :)) . So I even can enjoy good MP3 stuff better. (Like all speakers, they can't change garbage into roses). So, I think you're going to love what they do with quality feeds from your receiver.

And as you think about upgrades later on, well, they reward EVERY step along the way. Uncompressed, even better. Well recorded stuff, even better. Better DAC's and amps, even better.

You're getting a fantastic foundation for anything you do later, and enjoy those beauties with the receiver you have in the meantime!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Help me with amp for t-reference