question-circle Help me with amp for t-reference

• Lynx4ben's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Lynx4ben Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Cool. I like the idea of starting with what I have. After all I haven’t had a vasectomy yet and if I spend any more money right now my wife may do it by hand.

Any care to answer my ARC question above?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 6 years 5 months ago
As far as I know ARC is lossless. Just taking the signal the TV receives and sending it along to the preamp. Of course if it arrives lossy it would get forwarded lossy.

When I use ARC (for example to watching netflix 4K on my smart TV) the sound is great, so another sign it's lossless.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
As far as I know ARC is lossless. Just taking the signal the TV receives and sending it along to the preamp. Of course if it arrives lossy it would get forwarded lossy.

When I use ARC (for example to watching netflix 4K on my smart TV) the sound is great, so another sign it's lossless.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
Btw congrats on the great setup! I have the T Refs as mains and the XXL as my center too. Sounds terrific.

But... the Refs (and the T Ones too, at least in my experience) "reveal" all aspects of the audio / component channel. Crappy source - shown. Crappy cables - shown. Even things like fuses (again IMHO) make a difference. So, the better the source and components bringing signal to the speakers, the better.
So, I'm a little worried about what you will get from the integrated amp. I use a separate pre-pro and 5 channel amp (actually a tube amp from Butler audio) and it sounds great.
Of course don't want to contribute to your vasectomy (;-) so you didn't hear this from me. But something to consider over time. I'm not sure for $1K you could do much better than what you have. Maybe wait until you can spend something like $3K for a quality pre-pro (I use marantz) and a separate quality amp...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 5 months ago

Pbgalvin wrote:
But... the Refs (and the T Ones too, at least in my experience) "reveal" all aspects of the audio / component channel. Crappy source - shown. Crappy cables - shown. Even things like fuses (again IMHO) make a difference. So, the better the source and components bringing signal to the speakers, the better.

So, I'm a little worried about what you will get from the integrated amp.

I'm not sure for $1K you could do much better than what you have. Maybe wait until you can spend something like $3K for a quality pre-pro (I use marantz) and a separate quality amp...

I agree with Pbgalvin

All I can add is that, again, the Ref's are amazing speakers, deliver more dynamics, clarity, musicality than any other speaker I have ever heard. And, yes, they reward every upgrade along the way.

But they also just plain "milk" out of any feeds whatever sound quality is there.

Starting with your current receiver, getting it set up properly, and just doing some listening will get you a long way toward deciding how much MORE SQ you want. With these Class A speakers, the sky's the limit.

You are getting the most amazing speakers I have ever heard!

Taking it a step at a time (avoiding a vasectomy! :laugh:), makes a lot of sense. You are building a fantastic foundation in the Ref's. Most folks will never hear such amazing speakers, ever!!!

Keep them, enjoy them, and upgrade feeds to them at whatever pace works for you.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Lynx4ben, Peter and Rick said it all, especially the part about avoiding the vasectomy!!!!!
Peter may have answered your ARC question, I hope so, as I have NO Idee.
Both guys are totally right, your TRefs will shine now, but will really shine with better equipment WHEN you can safely get it.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Help me with amp for t-reference