file Plate amp failure on Triton Two

• ajowers's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ajowers Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by ajowers. Reason: correct misspelled words info_outline

Moderator wrote: I also asked for a quick scan of our repair records and no dealer has had four repeats in the history of our record keeping, so, if service was done four times it did not happen with GoldenEar's involvement.

Agreed also with a call to the office (Sandy will probably talk with him) or an email to support. If emailing support, best to ask questions rather than demand support.

I appreciate all assistance by every one. I will indeed unplug from power conditioner but I will have to go through a power strip as there is only one wall outlet. I have tried a ground tester and it gives the green light all good on every socket in my house.

Your statement above however kept me up half the night. I have never been called a liar on a public forum by a manufacturer. I definitely do not appreciate this. I was so upset I could not sleep.

Also, I never demanded support here. I emailed support and a solution was worked out. My questions here are about the future when they fail again. I was brain storming on an alternative solution. I have learned that because of the DSP and active cross over I cant supply an external amp. ok. What I am now concerned about is whether the non subwoofer parts use active or passive crossover. I do get sound with the AC cord unplugged from the speaker but am I bypassing the XO and possible damaging the tweeter for example because there is no XO with out power? I at least need to know this part. Worst case in the future is: I leave them unplugged and purchase one or two high end subs and just use the passive components (mid/tweeters). This plan all depends on whether there is a passive XO or not.

Can someone technical respond on this. and no, I am NOT playing a game to get "trade secrets". In fact I do not play games. And I am still upset by your comments above. I know you can easily remove my posts or edit my comments and ban me to make me go away. But I will take a chance and just be truthfull about how I feel. Thanks to everyone else who has offered some suggestions. I am as baffled and frustrated as any of you would be. trust me..... I have reccomended the Goldenears to everyone I know in the past and bragged on them.

Thanks,
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another question I though about:

Does anyone use any surge suppression, power conditioning on their powered Triton speakers or subs ? Is it recommended or discouraged ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Yikes, sorry, that was not our intention. It was simply to point out that we (GoldenEar) did not replace the electronics four times. The dealer could well have done something and not involved us in the process, but we certainly had no intention of implying you weren't telling the truth about getting service four times, just that WE were not involved. We also did not say you demanded anything from support, it was a friendly suggestion about how to get the most help. Support's job is to help owners with setup and use questions, and to help get a product fixed when it fails, quickly. They are very good at that, as many will attest. We don't want anyone to be missing their tunes. In terms of the inner working of the speaker and help with modifications, that's not their job and that's not information they have available to give out. That's why we suggested calling the office where Sandy or some other telephone tech support person might be able to answer your questions. Again, sorry if your interpretation of the response was upsetting, just trying to help you and keep information accurate for other forum readers.

Yes, there is a passive crossover and you are not hurting anything by driving the speaker without the ac cord plugged in (sorry, if you asked that before and we missed it).

We are baffled too, as are other readers I would guess. One of our regular contributors suggested eliminating the power conditioner, a good idea based on it being an unknown. (If the problems persist, I guess that would eliminate that as the possible issue.) And no problem using a power strip as long as it is rated for the necessary current demands.

We aren't going anywhere and will continue to service your speakers under warranty for any electronics failures. It is true that anything that plugs in the wall is subject to some percentage of failure, but it would appear you've used up the odds for MANY years to come. In addition, we have asked support to track the return of your failed electronics so it can be sent to our engineers in Canada for evaluation. If the failure appears to be related to an ac power issue we can let you know so you can do further investigation locally.

I was told by my dealer that replacement parts were acquired under warranty from GoldenEar and that the defective ones were to be returned for assessment in Canada. I never did hear back what the assessment was. I would still like to know what part fails. Is it a bad capacitor, etc ... as this may help me determine what I have to do in my environment to circumvent this issue that apparently only affects plate amps.

I watched on two separate occasions while the new amp/dsp units were installed. My original amps had serial numbers on them but the replacements do not have a serial. There is just a white space where the serial should be. Honestly I do not know what my original serials were. :(

Both speakers have replacement amps and no serials now.

Just to be clear, I feel that Goldenear and my dealer have bent over backwards to make this product work and provide me with optimum service. I just need for these to last because I feel I have already worn out my welcome on replacements.

Today I am buying the new amp unit. It will be shipped to me and with former dealer assistance will be installed. the defective parts will be returned for a full refund with a return shipping label. Thanks yet again. I would like the feedback from an analysis on the defective parts to see if it can help me understand more about electricity and how to protect my equipment which I have a lot invested.

If they burn out again, I will likely be too embarrassed to ask for more support and will probably just buy a pair of external subs.

Thanks.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Understood, we only recently began sending our replacements with serial numbers (and then only if we know what they are though). Please don't hesitate to contact us at support if you have more issues in the future. We will also endeavor to find out what failed in your previous units in case it could help you prevent future issues. Although odd and out of the norm by a long shot, it would not surprise us if it was just simply bad luck. :(

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Not meaning to belabor an already electrified topic, but there are some questions I’d like to ask ajowers.

The premise is that the plate amp has failed. What does "failed" mean exactly?

Prior to Golden Ear Tritons I had a pair of JBLS412P speakers. They too had a plate amp. The difference as compared to GET plate amp is that (a) there was an on/off switch and (b) an auto/on switch. What happened with one speaker is that when left in auto, when the amp shut down because no music was present, it wouldn’t turn back on again unless I manually switched it off and then back on.
Not sure that condition constitutes a failure but obviously I would have preferred if I didn’t have to do that. In your case ajowers, I take the failure to mean the amp will not turn on, but again, please clarify.

I also would tend to agree with T Cobe in that if in fact you have experienced as many as three failures, there is likely some cause other than GET part quality. Did all three failures exhibit the same symptom? I think you need to understand the cause prior to answering your question/concern about future endeavors, planning and so forth.

To your other question about power conditioning, I use power conditioning and am rather pleased with the results. Specifically, I use the following:
20 Amp dedicated outlet and breaker >>> Emotiva CMX-2 >>> Panamax MR-4300 >>> GET Triton One’s (and other A/V equipment).

Lastly, and I mentioned this quite a while back now in another thread on this forum, the Triton’s have a blue light which flashes (25 times if memory serves) when the unit is first powered on. I believe an irregular pattern would or could be indicative of a problem. Have you noticed the flashing pattern of the blue light and are they the same in all cases?
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Plate amp failure on Triton Two