file Plate amp failure on Triton Two

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Okay. You will need to wait for GET to let you know the cause of the failure.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ajowers's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
ajowers Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by ajowers. Reason: correct spelling info_outline
Since removing the APC Power conditioner and having a power button to shut it all down, I have been powering each unti off one at a time. When I power the amp off I have noticed that the green lights on the plate amps never go off. LAst night at 3am I noticed them still glowing green so I unplugged them.

Should I worry that they are constantly on ? Does that create extra wear and should the circuit detect no input and shutdown theoretically ?

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
To my understanding, based on the T1 user manual and based on how my T1s operate, when electrical power is shut off to the speaker the light will immediately go out. I do not kill the electrical power to the speaker until the light goes off by itself. You should avoid denying electrical power while the light is on. When the light goes off and I am finished listening I then power them off. If the light goes off and I am going to resume listening within an hour or so, I leave them powered on electrically and they are in a "standby mode". The moment I resume listening (provide an audio signal) the light goes back on. Typically it takes about twenty minutes after there is no audio signal for the light to go off. However, and as stated in the GET manual, the light could stay on even when there is no audio signal if there is an inordinate amount of RFI interference. Given the sounds you reported hearing, this (RFI) could be your culprit.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

• ajowers's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
ajowers Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by ajowers. info_outline
Explain RFI.

Radio Frequency Interference ????

And would this be something emanating as waves in my room from other equipment or are you saying there is noise in the AC power line ?

Except for the left channel amp noise recently, when everything is powered on and no music is playing I hear no hiss or hum. It is dead silent.

I would like to know if my pair of Triton Two are the only set where after powering off the amp, the green lights remain on. Anyone ?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 10 months ago

ajowers wrote: Since removing the APC Power conditioner and having a power button to shut it all down, I have been powering each unit off one at a time. When I power the amp off I have noticed that the green lights on the plate amps never go off. Last night at 3am I noticed them still glowing green so I unplugged them.

Should I worry that they are constantly on ? Does that create extra wear and should the circuit detect no input and shutdown theoretically ?

It is not an issue as far as the amps are concerned. It can be related to noise on the input (ac or audio) or noise in the environment (wifi routers in proximity are the most common culprit). It could also be a failure of that sensing circuit - please note that it can take (and is not unusual if it does) several hours to go into standby. I would wait to see what the replacement electronics do in your setup (regarding going into standby) before going any further.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

ajowers wrote: Explain RFI.

Radio Frequency Interference ????

And would this be something emanating as waves in my room from other equipment or are you saying there is noise in the AC power line ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Plate amp failure on Triton Two