file Power and speaker cable upgrades

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hello everyone. GDHAL here. I'm new to the forum (this one, not audiogon where I post under the same username). I just received and setup a new pair of Triton Ones. Wow! Okay, now to the thread.... I know so many people who spend more on cables than there entire system is worth. That said, I've also talked to at least two electric engineers (not electricians, people who own repair shops, etc.) and they insist in the case of audio, even lamp cord is good enough and you cannot discern and in almost all cases not even measure a difference when expensive cables are used. To qualify this, I'm speaking of good 12 gauge wire in relatively short runs of less than 25 feet. This is not the case with video. The reason is that the audio spectrum frequencies are already properly "carried" over 12 gauge copper wire. I myself use carol cable C1563 12AWG silver plated. I "attach" the BARE wire to the speaker terminal binding posts. I do note that over-tightening can crimp and/or cut the wire, so I tighten by hand only. Hope this helps and I'm up for the challenge should anyone wish to post a credible rebuttal.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi GDHAL, and welcome to the forum here!!!! And welcome to the world of Triton Ones, one of the best speakers in the world, and probably THE BEST in value for Dollar!!!!!!
Your speakers are so clear, so resolving that IF you want to know IF you can hear a difference between cables, then compare them with
your speakers! You either will hear a difference or you won't.
IF YOU do hear a difference and it is a GOOD difference, then buy what sounds best.
IF YOU do not hear a difference, then all the arguments in the world (on this forum, Audiogon, etc.) will not matter because you cannot hear it.
I would say enjoy what you have!!!!!!
IF you wonder, then try some cables that you can beg, borrow or buy on a return basis and see IF you can hear anything?
IF you want to argue about cables, the AVS Forum will give you all the argument you want.
We don't care for that sort of thing here, we like to help each other in a friendly and non-judgmental way.
I hope this helps. Enjoy the music on your system, music is what it is all about!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Well said, Wayne!
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Wayne, I can assure you, I am not looking for an "argument". While I thank everyone for their candid and professional feedback, I do have to disagree that it is not merely and entirely left to "whatever sounds best to you" and "if conditions as in a computer program. While that is certainly part of the equation, there are numerous variable that can be measured scientifically that cannot be discerned by the human ear, eyes, etc. That said, it is within that realm that I seek input as to whether or not bare wire, wire gauge and esoteric brands make a difference. Again, in this case, difference being defined by scientific measurement, not merely human subjectivity.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago

GDHAL wrote: Wayne, I can assure you, I am not looking for an "argument". While I thank everyone for their candid and professional feedback, I do have to disagree that it is not merely and entirely left to "whatever sounds best to you" and "if conditions as in a computer program. While that is certainly part of the equation, there are numerous variable that can be measured scientifically that cannot be discerned by the human ear, eyes, etc. That said, it is within that realm that I seek input as to whether or not bare wire, wire gauge and esoteric brands make a difference. Again, in this case, difference being defined by scientific measurement, not merely human subjectivity.

Good, because we don't allow arguments on this forum, just discussions. And not to argue, but you and your engineer experts got it exactly backwards - there are numerous variables that can be heard but cannot currently be measured scientifically.

Enjoy your new speakers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Here you go GDHAL,
That is what AVS forum is all about, they all are scientists over there. Check here:
www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-s...r-cables-choice.html

I seriously think you will enjoy that forum, there are hundreds of members there that think exactly the same way you do.
Many folks over there will argue the points with you, or discuss them if you prefer. I have no interest whatsoever.
But I am happy to discuss music or your speakers.
Enjoy the music, or movies.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Power and speaker cable upgrades