file Power and speaker cable upgrades

• JohnnyR711's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
JohnnyR711 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Thinking about upgrading the power cords and speaker cables on my year old Triton threes. Like the Groneberg cables from Odyssey Audio and was wondering if any members with these speakers had any experience with these cables as far as build quality and sound performance for the money? I spoke to the owner of Odyssey Audio and he quoted some $300.00 for 10' and 12' pair and another $250 for same length speaker cables. This is medium pricing for audiophile cable I believe. Thanks to all responding members.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
JohnnyR711,
I just want to welcome you here and hope you find out a good answer. I don't have any experience with that brand, but do have better power cords on my T 3s. Maybe not better, but after market power cables. Those are great speakers so they should reward you with any upgrades you may add.
Have fun with the search, and please let us know what you find out.
Happy Listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
JohnnyR711,

Another welcome to the forum. Cables and cords have been a long debated issue here and elsewhere. I think what I can safely say is make sure you are performing a risk free trial of any cable. Your local dealer should have cables they can loan you to test in your system to see if you hear a difference. There are also on-line retailers that offer 30 day return policies. Risk free is the way to go.

Then of course there is the matter of price and what makes good sense. To me, it doesn't make sense to spend $1000 on cables for a $1000 set of speakers. You'd be better off investing that money into better speakers or electronics. Quality cables can and do make a difference but there is a point of diminishing returns that is quickly reached and frequently exceeded. In the end, it's your money and your system. Make sure you're happy and take others' advice with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Welcome JohnnyR711! I second T Cobe's remark "Make sure you're happy and take others' advice with a grain of salt."
This forum is a great resource of knowledgeable and experienced folks. There is lots of advice available. If you want to start a discussion on what the members think about your system, post the components and we can discuss from there. As T Cobe mentioned there is a point of diminishing return. That is true of any component in the system.

This hobby can be quite rewarding but nothing good comes without a price :evil:

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Grimmace19's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
Grimmace19 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I have Pangea AC-9 power cables on my Triton 1s. Makes me feel much more comfortable than the stock ones as I know they can handle the power draw without problem. As for a SQ difference? I really have no clue, I got them right away at the length I needed for my setup and never looked back. Very affordable compared to some of the alternatives. They also have a "holy crap" factor based on them actually being 7 gauge cables.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey Grimmace 19,
I can relate. My Triton 2s and 3s both have after market cords on them. I never even tried the stock cords.
So I cannot compare SQ, it just "should" be better. Mine are "Heavy Crap" cables, they even fall off at times as their weight pulls them
out of the connector occasionally.
Happy listening, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Power and speaker cable upgrades