file Power and speaker cable upgrades

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Thanks, Wayne. I'm perfectly willing to look into cable upgrades after I've got all my equipment in place AND with risk free trials. I've already performed some comparisons on RCAs and have found my mid-priced solutions indistinguishable from some higher cost options.

Money doesn't grow on trees in my yard either. I don't plan to waste it if I can't hear a difference. If I had to spend $100 just to try a cable, I'm not sure I would be willing to attempt it. I think the right speakers, sources, and media are going to get you most of the way towards audio nirvana. After that, room acoustics would probably be the best investment if you're able to implement them. IMO, cables are an option to fine tune and dress up a system once everything else is in place (which I believe is where Rick and Anthem are based on the great gear they have!).

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 9 months ago
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Thanks Bro Anthem,
Read that. I have always said it has to start at the source, but I never heard anyone include the AC power in that. BUT that is what Bro T. Cobe and I both did, perhaps others, put in dedicated 20 amp clean power. I don't want to hear the refrigerator kick in, or somebody run the exhaust fan in the toilet when I am listening to music. So I do agree with the article at least up to a point.
Honestly, I have a feeling, but am not sure about this, but my gut read on it all is that we people who run everything in 220 VAC have an
advantage on you 110-120 guys in having power to spare. I just don't see how that cannot help. Does that make any sense you electrical engineer types? Effortless here.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Thanks, Wayne. I'm perfectly willing to look into cable upgrades after I've got all my equipment in place AND with risk free trials. .... I think the right speakers, sources, and media are going to get you most of the way towards audio nirvana.... After that, room acoustics ... IMO, cables are an option to fine tune and dress up a system once everything else is in place .

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

I totally agree with the priorities and sequence of improvements you mention. It does start with great SPEAKERS and components. And since the effect of power cords is dependent on the SYSTEM they're connected to, it's important to have major components settled on and in place before settling in on trying power cords, as how power cord A affects component B in a system might be different than if component C were to replace component B.

I think you're exactly right in exercising patience in choosing when to test what.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi Wayne, no real advantage to 220v over 110v for our equipment. A 220v circuit will have half the current of a 110v. The wattage rating on the equipment is what matters to us. 200 watts is still 200 watts on 220v or 110v. The difference is the 220v line will use half the current to get the same wattage.

The real advantage for higher voltage is power distribution. Half the loss on the long distribution lines vs the lower voltage. In the US 220-240 is present in the breaker box of homes/small businesses. Then split into 110-120 for wall outlets. Higher voltage is used for cook tops, ovens, heaters, dryers and larger motors like the ones used in AC systems. The lack of a standard has voltage around the world differing. Then there is the 50 Vs. 60 cycles thing.

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Understand D. T. or at least I understand some. OK, a little bit.
I know how it works in America, I don't know quite so much here. We have 3 phase to our home, most are only single phase.
People think I am crazy and spent money for nothing by grounding all plugs in our home, running a separate 20 amp circuit to my home theater, and 3 phase for the most power hungry water pump and water heater.
I just thought that since my understanding is that a LOT of our audio gear really operates on small DC voltages inside the equipment itself, if you have more voltage available to begin with, it might mean more reserve power to draw from.
What do I know?
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Power and speaker cable upgrades