file Triton 1 R footing and fuse questions.

• BSavage's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
BSavage Posted 4 years 1 month ago

Moderator wrote:

Audionut74 wrote:

Moderator wrote: The fuse for the Triton One.R is on the inside of the back panel and is 5x20MM, 6.3 amp, 250V, Slow-Blow. That's not an uncommon size so should be easy to find audiophile versions with those ratings.

Is the fuse size the same for the TRef also?

Yes, same size and value for the fuse in the T-Ref.

I wasn't aware the Triton Reference (or the Triton Ones I owned previously) had a fuse in them since the owner's manual doesn't list one. I have experienced great results in using Synergistic Research fuses in other equipment and would like to try them in the TRef. Based on what is said above, I would have to remove the 10 screws that attach the back panel to the cabinet to pull the panel out to access the fuse location. Other than disconnecting the power cord, do I need to be aware of anything else when doing this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• blistn2's Avatar Offline
  • TRs Front LFE1, SC XXL Center, T1s S Sur. LFE2
    • Thank you received: 12
blistn2 Posted 4 years 1 week ago
After seeing this topic, I decided to try the SVS SI feet on my TR's. Even my dog could hear the difference! Well, that, or he thought I was asking him if he wanted a treat. Seriously, without a fast and easy way to do an A/B comparison, I had to rely on memory, which doesn't give the best results. My TR's are sitting on tile floors over a concrete slab. I have an 8 x 10 shag throw rug over foam pad sitting in between them (8" side) and covering the main listening area. I did put tape down so I could get the speakers back in the same spot. They sounded pretty good before with no rattles or buzzes in the room.

After installing the feet, the mids seem to be elevated and/or some of the bass was reduced. I'm not sure if that was a good thing. The sound stage deepened and/or there seemed to be more dimension which was a good thing. I had the subs turned to the 2nd dot or 8 o'clock position before. After the installation, I was able to turn the subs a little past the 3rd dot or 9 o'clock position. I was concerned about the appearance and stability of the speakers, also. The feet fit and look nice under the base. The rear ones are flush with the edges. The speakers will flex in all directions, but don't seem too unstable. I'm not sure if I will replace the old feet before the 45 day trial period ends for another comparison. I think they are keepers! I'm going to get some more to use under my T1 surrounds.

FYI My hearing is old, beat up, with intermittent tinnitus, and I probably don't hear above 10K. So your results might vary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 week ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

blistn2 wrote: After seeing this topic, I decided to try the SVS SI feet on my TR's. Even my dog could hear the difference! Well, that, or he thought I was asking him if he wanted a treat. Seriously, without a fast and easy way to do an A/B comparison, I had to rely on memory, which doesn't give the best results. My TR's are sitting on tile floors over a concrete slab. I have an 8 x 10 shag throw rug over foam pad sitting in between them (8" side) and covering the main listening area. I did put tape down so I could get the speakers back in the same spot. They sounded pretty good before with no rattles or buzzes in the room.

After installing the feet, the mids seem to be elevated and/or some of the bass was reduced. I'm not sure if that was a good thing. The sound stage deepened and/or there seemed to be more dimension which was a good thing. I had the subs turned to the 2nd dot or 8 o'clock position before. After the installation, I was able to turn the subs a little past the 3rd dot or 9 o'clock position. I was concerned about the appearance and stability of the speakers, also. The feet fit and look nice under the base. The rear ones are flush with the edges. The speakers will flex in all directions, but don't seem too unstable. I'm not sure if I will replace the old feet before the 45 day trial period ends for another comparison. I think they are keepers! I'm going to get some more to use under my T1 surrounds.

FYI My hearing is old, beat up, with intermittent tinnitus, and I probably don't hear above 10K. So your results might vary.

Hi

I agree, isolation feet do make a difference. In my case I have GAIA ll's on my T Ref's. What I noticed was the increase in clarity, detail, across the frequency spectrum. The bass was cleaner for sure, didn't really hear a difference in loudness levels one way or the other. But it's like the speakers just got cleaner sounding.

Re stability, I had the same experience as you describe. I can make the top rock back and and forth a bit because of the absorption pads, but not enough to worry about.

Bottom line, they do seem to minimize/dampen the speaker cabinets moving/reacting back and forth from driver forces and muddying the sound. The GAIA's are keepers for me also.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like SVS feet are another good option. Haven't done anything similar with my T1 surrounds yet. I'll be interested in your comments about what the SVS pads do for you there also.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• blistn2's Avatar Offline
  • TRs Front LFE1, SC XXL Center, T1s S Sur. LFE2
    • Thank you received: 12
blistn2 Posted 4 years 1 week ago
Hey rjohn,

Thanks for your input. I was interested in the Gaias, too, but I wasn't ready for a $600 experiment. I realize that the SVS feet were primarily designed for their subwoofers. The Gaia's are engineered for tower speakers and it seems like they also favor movement in only one plane since they suggest a directional installation. I can see how they might perform better and maybe sometime in the future, I'll try a comparison now that I've heard the difference with the SVSs.

I also wonder if some of the SQ improvement is just due to the fact that the speakers are elevated. GE does recommend spikes, I believe. I bought my TRs used and didn't get any spikes with them. I think GE wants about $100/ set and I'm not sure if that's for 1 or 2 speakers. Next time I'm at the hardware store, I'll pick up some 2" carriage bolts and nuts and see how they work. I'm not crazy about the cosmetics, but I can see how they could be dressed up with some wood and paint or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 4 years 1 week ago
Hey Rick!

I'm using the standard spikes plus disks on thin felt on my laminate flooring (over wood subfloor), so I'm curious about your setup. What flooring are you on? Carpet? Laminate/hardwood? Concrete? Basically, I'm curious about what your pre-Gaia setup was. Were you using the spikes?

What's on the underside of the Gaias? With my thin-felt-bottomed disks I can (very carefully while lifting as best I can) slide the TRefs around on the floor to change their position. Could you do this with the Gaias, or will they gouge the flooring?

There's a review in the latest Stereophile (October) of the Gaia-Titan Theis feet. (Only $900 for four!) The reviewer said the change was a mixed bag, improvement wise, but he didn't say what his previous floor coupling was. I imagine the change would depend a lot on how you were set up before.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 week ago
Hey Charlie

The flooring is hardwood over concrete right under the speakers, and I have an area rug in front of the listening seating.

My prior set up was with the rubber feet. The sound uptick was kind of like what I get with a better power cord, just cleaner, more detailed and natural. I remember being impressed with the bass, but I think it was because it was so clean and detailed, not necessarily louder.

I just couldn't bring myself to go spikes and risk floor damage or broken spikes if I had to move the speakers for any reason. I have no direct experience of what the spike vs. GAIA sound comparison would have been, though I have read reviews of users saying they liked the change vs spikes, but that's not a comparison I can make. The speakers are relatively easy to move with the GAIA's by tilting onto one of the feet and rotating, kind of crab walking a little at a times, same as with rubber feet. The bottom of the GAIA disc is perfectly flat, with a thin pad under the metal.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 1 R footing and fuse questions.