file Difference emotive XPA 5 power amp would make.

• Sbhat3's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Sbhat3 Posted 10 years 3 months ago
My present set up includes Triton 2 pair (L/R fronts), Supersat 60Center, and surround pair of sup sat3s with AVR being Marantz SR7005 (125w x5). Would adding an emotiva XPA-5 (200w x 5) to this setup make any significant difference (in quality not loudness)..considering the rooom is large (20-30 ft x 15 ft x 12 ft), asymmetric and open on 2 sides.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
I believe an Emotiva xpa-5 would make a significant improvement in both sonics and headroom. I have basically the same speaker setup as you except I'm using the Aon 3's for surrounds and Sup sat 3's for rears. I'm using Emotiva xpa-1 monos (sonically the same as the xpa-5) to power the front 3-channels and an Anthem Statement p-2 for the surrounds. I don't believe you can go wrong with an xpa-5...30 day money back guarantee if you're not happy. YOU WILL BE HAPPY.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sbhat3

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Sbhat3,

I am very curious about this, too. I have the same receiver and Tritons 2s, and I am interested in improving the sound. If you get the XPA-5 for a trial, please report out what you learn. I'm all ears!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Sbhat3,
I have a very similar set up to yours. Exact same speakers and similar size room. My room has a vaulted ceiling with the T2's at the short end facing into the vault. I have a a Denon receiver also rated at 125w per channel. I added a XPA-5 (gen 1) last year. made a HUGE difference in both 2-ch music and HT.
in 2 ch music I noticed better imagery with a higher and wider sound stage. The system seemed to to provide more of a wall of sound and less localized to the speakers. This took some repositioning of the T2's on my part. I pulled them further out from the back wall. Prior to the XPA-5, pulling the speakers further from the wall did not seem to make a huge difference. Midrange increased and seems tighter. Highs are less harsh at higher volume (not that they were harsh to begin with).
The biggest difference I noticed with HT was more pronounced surround effects from the rears and the center channel. The center is better able to keep up with the T2's. I had to turn down the volume a little bit on the rears and center (I used a db meter for this).
I noticed a HUGE gain in headroom, not even close!
As Anthem stated "YOU WILL BE HAPPY."

• Sbhat3's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
Sbhat3 Posted 10 years 2 months ago
I have been using my XPA-5 now for nearly 2 weeks. I completely agree with everything that MOBrien said.... I have not yet tried moving the T2s (after the XPA-5 addition), to see if that makes any additional difference ...will try it and hope fully find the same difference that MOBrien got.

Thanks MOBrien and Anthem.

Redraider1138..Highly recommended .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, MOBrien, Redraider1138

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Thank you for the report back, Sbhat3!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Difference emotive XPA 5 power amp would make.