file Difference emotive XPA 5 power amp would make.

• Steveo's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hi guys. Sorry for resurrecting an old topic but I have to know something. I am running triton 1s with 60c and ss3. Would an Xpa5 make a huge difference in sound from my receiver at 110w per channel? Should I bite the bullet and just buy the xpa5 do you think? How much better sound should I be expecting? Be as detailed as you want to as I am very interested in this amp. I already feel goldenear is the BEST value and bang for your buck in audio bar none. I am thinking emotiva is the same for amps.

Please show off you xpa5 experiences! :)) Talk about the sound improvements headroom whatever you want!
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hey Steveo,
To me, amps are not game changers like your speakers are. IMHO you should hear some improvement, but a WOW improvement, probably not unless your receiver amps sorta suck.
I am assuming you have researched this, and read this, but just in case you have not seen this one, at bit old now, Kal on Stereophile has reviewed the XPA-5 here: www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-51
Sounds like it would be well worth the money, but not gonna make your eyes roll back in your head.
Have fun in the search, happy listening,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Wayne. I am really seeing if getting this amp is going to be worth it. I am interested in the increase of quality that this amp may bring not so much loudness.

By the sound of what you are saying I already have the unit that will give me the most wow factor which are of course the T1s. Maybe I should hold off on the xpa5 and just enjoy what I have? I am really enjoying the speakers immensely anyway. I have heard some members says the xpa 5 made a huge difference in sound qualitu. But maybe I am ok as I am?

Still that review on the xpa5 was quite good and am still tempted. :) Still the unit is $888 usd but it will cost me $1400 aud to land it in Australia so I am wondering if I would get $1400 worth of improvement in sound quality?That was my main query. If I won't I will leave it.
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
PS Audio P10

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Steveo,
Yeah, I hear ya. I know anything we buy over here is way more expensive than the prices the boys in the US are paying. And I don't know at all how Emotiva's 30 day return policy would (or very possibly would NOT) work for you.
I will comment or ask questions further, coz we are awake over here, those guys who know something are asleep halfway around the world.
Do I understand correctly? IF you did get the XPA-5, you would still use the Yamaha A1040 as a pre-amp, processor, and use the pre outs to the amp?
IF we were talking about a cheap o receiver, then this might be a little bit easier to answer. I am not familiar with that receiver though, so read about it reviewed here: www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a1040/review
That is not a bad review, but not glowing either.
IF the receiver has great electronics and is just not nearly as powerful as they claim (your receiver claims 110 wpc, but when you look closely, they really only play that powerfully with two channels driven. When all channels are driven, they come up WAY short of that, or rather, have a MUCH higher distortion) so changing out the amp might make a LOT of sense.
But reviews say it has plenty of power. So, not sure.
Here is a curious question: I was reading this review: www.hometheaterhifi.com/receivers/receiv...receiver-review.html
and it said that you must select the speaker ohms BEFORE you connect the speakers and do your setup. Did you set them to 8 ohms, 6 ohms or 4 ohms? And they rate it as good for a second system.
Both these reviews make me think the pre-amp section may also be lacking.
(By Lacking, I mean in comparison to the kind of pre-amps that a wonderful pair of speakers like the Triton Ones would normally be paired with).
The good news is that you can take your time, save up. IF you want even better amps, you can save for them and get them. OR you can go with the XPA-5 now and then save for a better pre-processor later.
The great thing is that you are enjoying the music and the ride now. And you have lots of options.
Let us know which way you go.
God Bless,
Wayne

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Wayne. I didn't actually choose the ohms but I think it's set at 8 but I will have to check. Is that correct for the triton 1s? Let me know

Yes you are right my thought was to get the xpa 5 that will keep forever and use it with the rx 1040s pre outs. Then I can upgrade maybe to the emotiva xmc 1 or maybe a top of the line marantz receiver as my mate could get them cheaper in the distant future. Would they be good options if I am using the xpa5 as an amp ? I am assuming the xmc 1 would be better as both that and the xpa 5 are from emotiva rather than say a 7009 marantz or whatever is top of the line at the time. Any other suggestions for prepros?

I am heavily leaning towards the xpa 5 based on what you are saying as it's making sense. I think I will get a lot more power and hopefully better quality of sound as well with the xpa5. The sound is what I am after as well as headroom.

I will also wait for our friends in the Northern hemisphere to give their 2 cents as well as I know there are a few xpa 5 owners with Triton on this forum.
PS Audio P10

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes Steveo, I think you are looking at a decent option there.
I too am considering the XMC-1 after they have the kinks worked out.
Let's see what the others say, but I want to encourage your search. I think you may be coming up with a good plan.
And please check, yes, 8 ohms is right for the Triton One and it MIGHT be a clue to making things sound better with your Yamaha.
God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Difference emotive XPA 5 power amp would make.