lightbulb Super Sub XXL HUM

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Outlaw#9 wrote: I have Dish, but my internet is on cable, Do you know where this drop isolator can be purchased?

I would start by contacting your cable provider. They should supply it free of charge. If you had to or wanted to purchase on your own, I would suggest (a) googling the item as you may be able to buy online and/or (b) visit a brick-and-mortar store that deals with electrical and electronic parts, possibly even something like radio shack.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Outlaw#9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Outlaw#9's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
Outlaw#9 Posted 8 years 1 month ago
I have contacted my cable company they are coming out to do a line rework on my Internet, they said their is a possibility that there is signal leakage.

Would my Dish also need an Isolator even though it is not connected in the same way?
My System
Yamaha RX-A 1000
2- Panamax Power Cond.
Rotel RB-1090
Rotel RMB-1095
Polk SDA 1.2TL
Paradigm Studio CC-470v3
2 Supersub XXL’s
Paradigm Studio 60 Rears.
Monster THX cables
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Outlaw#9 wrote: I have contacted my cable company they are coming out to do a line rework on my Internet, they said their is a possibility that there is signal leakage.

Would my Dish also need an Isolator even though it is not connected in the same way?

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't had personal experience with Dish/Satellite. Given the hum issue you are stating, I would suggest that before considering any modification to your Dish setup, determine (or at least try) if it is causing the hum. This could mean disconnecting electric power to it, wireless and any hard wiring from it to whatever it ultimately connects to inside of your home. Then listen whether or not the Super Sub has any hum. If you are able to demonstrate that hum comes-and-goes depending on what you do, inform the Satellite dish provider and they should be able to remedy the issue.

Generally - but not always - low frequency hum is related to a lack of proper electric grounding. But keep in mind electrical current is not only available from a standard A/C wall outlet. It is also available in video transmission lines and those lines usually utilize the same grounding as you have your standard electrical power lines using. This tends to be the default way companies that offer audio/video do business. Only if there is a legitimate need will/can they bypass your grounding in favor of their own grounding or other solution. The drop isolator does not 'fix' the root cause grounding problem. It, as the name suggests, "isolates" the problem and in so doing the problems caused by not isolating (hum, etc.) becomes moot.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Outlaw#9 wrote: I recently Purchased the super sub XXL and it is musically awesome to say the least. I have one issue I am not sure how to correct/fix. When the Sub is on and no volume or low volume you can hear a slight hum out of it. I also switched input cables with no change. I also had the input disconnected and the hum is still there. Is there a fix to this problem I am experiencing?

We've had a few more complaints about hum and it appears the problem may be with AC orientation in some installations/locations. To test, put a non-polarized cheater plug on the AC cord and reverse the orientation of the power cord in the outlet. If the hum goes away, you're all set. (If you don't like using the cheater plug, unplug the AC cord, remove the amp panel and reverse the black and white wires on the back of the AC socket - understanding that you may have to reverse them back if you move.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Outlaw#9

• Outlaw#9's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
Outlaw#9 Posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
That was the problem its as silent as can be now. Thank you very very much for the quick response and solution to the problem. Very impressed with the level of customer service at all levels!! B)
My System
Yamaha RX-A 1000
2- Panamax Power Cond.
Rotel RB-1090
Rotel RMB-1095
Polk SDA 1.2TL
Paradigm Studio CC-470v3
2 Supersub XXL’s
Paradigm Studio 60 Rears.
Monster THX cables
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• HTNUT1975's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 35
HTNUT1975 Posted 5 years 3 months ago
I've had the same issue in my SS XXL, but it hasn't bothered me all that much. Is it not unsafe to use a cheater plug like that for this device? If not, then I may give this a shot.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series Super Sub XXL HUM