file SuperSub XXL

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago
I always find two subs to be much better, especially in terms of lessening room nodes and eliminating any directional cues. If my room was bigger, I might opt for one XXL now, one later, because yes, the XXL will play lower than the X. In terms of fidelity, they both sounded fantastic to me, much better than a conventional sub.

The 220v versions (Euro mode)s are hung up in approvals, hoping both models get approved and we have them available late this spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thus far, I am VERY happy with the bass I can produce with T1's as fronts and T2's as surrounds. AWESOME bass!!!! It's amazing what (2 times 1,200 plus 2 times 1,600 watts!!!) just a LITTLE ( :P) bit of wattage will do for bass, and what four different bass positions will do.

BUT, having heard what integrated tonality will do for SQ, there is no doubt in my mind that if I want to add bass in the future, it's tonally INTEGRATED bass I want, and it's either FF's or SS's. There's no way I'm going to mess with that.

I can't put a number or a value on maintaining tonality and SQ in a system, but I sure can HEAR what it does.

Reviews from all who add SS's to GEt systems greatly appreciated.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
twinturbo11 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by twinturbo11. info_outline

rjohn79395 wrote: Thus far, I am VERY happy with the bass I can produce with T1's as fronts and T2's as surrounds. AWESOME bass!!!! It's amazing what (2 times 1,200 plus 2 times 1,600 watts!!!) just a LITTLE ( :P) bit of wattage will do for bass, and what four different bass positions will do.

BUT, having heard what integrated tonality will do for SQ, there is no doubt in my mind that if I want to add bass in the future, it's tonally INTEGRATED bass I want, and it's either FF's or SS's. There's no way I'm going to mess with that.

I can't put a number or a value on maintaining tonality and SQ in a system, but I sure can HEAR what it does.

Reviews from all who add SS's to GEt systems greatly appreciated.

Rick

Hey Rick, I hear ya. I think no one really doubts that having powered Tritons all around is ideal and will sound best/most integrated. Your setup seems really really sweet! IMHO, the disadvantages are (1) cost, (2) aesthetics/WAF, and (3) inflexible placement of the integrated-subwoofers (for some people, where they put the speakers is not same where they would put subwoofers). The setup would be ideal for a dedicated room perhaps.

Guys don't kill me, but I unfortunately (and fortunately) sold my triton 1s and went with HTR-7000s all around (5.1.4 with the 650s for heights), for 4 reasons: (1) aesthetics (the T1s are really huge and dominate the room too much) and have 3 wires going into them, (2) they are dust magnets, (3) kids playing around them, and most importantly (4) the HTR-7000s really really sound amazing and are only slightly inferior to the T1s (when installed properly and coupled with a sub) . I would venture to say that their mid-range (7" driver) is superior to the T1's midrange (5" driver). My wife said that piano and certain voices sounded better/more forward on the HTRs. Although I havent heard the T5 (6" driver), some say their midrange is better as well. This is not to say that the T1s are not all around rock stars.

I plan to have my subs wrapped in white car foil so that they can look white and blend in with the walls and flooring better. It will be a truly "invisible atmos" setup, as Sandy would call it. In terms of sub, I am so split between 2 Xs vs 1 XXL. Maybe after reading Rick's and mod's comment, I might go for 2 Xs, although I would be missing the deep lows that the XXL can hit. It will be difficult to find somewhere to audition both subs side-by-side :(
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, twinturbo11

There sure are lots of ways GEt gives us to fill a room with beautiful sound. What I really mean by tonally integrated bass also includes how the sub portion blends in with all the other speakers in the room, and that if I were to add a free standing sub, I would want a GEt sub. I am just so impressed with how all the GEt speakers blend together, and would love to get some feedback on how both the X and XXL sound/blend in. Knowing GEt, it's got to be pretty seamless and sweet. Your comment/question re one XXL vs. two X's is a good one. In my case, I would consider just one free standing sub since I already have pretty good bass distribution.

I've not heard the HTR 7000's yet. Yours is quite a testimony! If I were starting over, would I be equally happy with a pair of HTR 7000's and a SS for the surrounds vs. the T2's? You make a good case for how good the HTR 7000's are. So many ways to be happy in the world of GEt speakers!!! And they just keep adding more options (and temptations!).

Please keep us posted on what you decide re subs, and how it all works together.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago
This is where subs get complicated. People look at frequency response (I'm guilty of this too) and ignore all other statistics either because they don't understand them or because they aren't published. What about group delay? What about Qes, Qms and Qts?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

twinturbo11 wrote: Hey Rick, I hear ya. I think no one really doubts that having powered Tritons all around is ideal and will sound best/most integrated. Your setup seems really really sweet! IMHO, the disadvantages are (1) cost, (2) aesthetics/WAF, and (3) inflexible placement of the integrated-subwoofers (for some people, where they put the speakers is not same where they would put subwoofers). The setup would be ideal for a dedicated room perhaps.

Guys don't kill me, but I unfortunately (and fortunately) sold my triton 1s and went with HTR-7000s all around (5.1.4 with the 650s for heights), for 4 reasons: (1) aesthetics (the T1s are really huge and dominate the room too much) and have 3 wires going into them, (2) they are dust magnets, (3) kids playing around them, and most importantly (4) the HTR-7000s really really sound amazing and are only slightly inferior to the T1s (when installed properly and coupled with a sub) . I would venture to say that their mid-range (7" driver) is superior to the T1's midrange (5" driver). My wife said that piano and certain voices sounded better/more forward on the HTRs. Although I havent heard the T5 (6" driver), some say their midrange is better as well. This is not to say that the T1s are not all around rock stars.

I plan to have my subs wrapped in white car foil so that they can look white and blend in with the walls and flooring better. It will be a truly "invisible atmos" setup, as Sandy would call it. In terms of sub, I am so split between 2 Xs vs 1 XXL. Maybe after reading Rick's and mod's comment, I might go for 2 Xs, although I would be missing the deep lows that the XXL can hit. It will be difficult to find somewhere to audition both subs side-by-side :(

Twonturbo11,

Sorry to hear that you sold your T1s but glad things are looking and sounding great! WAF is important and GET makes some great options for us to fit just about any space. I bet the setup is going to look great once it's all complete. Please post some pics.

I hear what your saying regarding the mid-range driver size. I think that's why the T3s don't really appeal to me. They have one small mid-range driver... While the driver size on the T2s and T1s are smaller, at least they have two. I have never had any issues with the sound of the midrange on my T1s.

The HTR-7000s use identical drivers to the Aon 3s. I love my Aons, so I think I can imagine how the HTR-7000 is going to sound. I will implement 4 of the 7000s for an Atmos setup. Thanks for the positive feedback on this model!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series SuperSub XXL