question-circle Crossover?

• lassus's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
lassus Posted 11 years 11 months ago
I just purchased the SuperSat 50C as a center channel to go with my Triton Twos, and so far I'm quite happy with it. On a video from my local showroom Sandy mentioned using the SuperSat with a "100 Hz crossover" that would send bass information to the subs in the Tritons. I'm not at all technically savvy about what this means, or why I would want to do it (or even how). Right now the SuperSat is simply wired into the center-channel outputs of my NAD T747 receiver, while the Tritons are wired to the left and right outputs, respectively.

Can anyone explain what is meant by this "100 Hz" crossover and whether it would be relevant at all for my setup?

Thanks,
Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Please consult your owners manual under the sections entitled Complete Home Theater Systems and Bass Management Settings.

Your receiver's defaults have probably kicked in, which means the crossover is probably set at 80Hz. It should be set at 100-120Hz, and the Triton L/R must be set to large, subwoofer set to none, for proper distribution of bass frequencies. If you are unsure how to do this, get help from your GoldenEar dealer. That's what you paid them for when you bought the speakers from them.
:)

Thanks for that - I've set the crossover accordingly at 100 Hz. Having read the manual I'm still not quite sure what advantage this is giving me, but I'll trust those more knowledgable than I.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Nothing complicated - the bass management system is exactly what the name sounds like - it manages the bass frequencies by sending them away from small speakers (like the SuperSat 50C) and redirects it to large speakers (Tritons) or separate subwoofers. The crossover number determines how much of this bass is redirected (the higher the number, the more bass that is directed away from small speakers), and is determined by the requirements of the particular speakers. Not doing this correctly risks damage to small speakers, and poor fidelity.

That's a very clear explanation, thanks.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back