file SUPERSAT 50 (C) Surround Speaker Issues TO Solve

• gud's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
gud Posted 13 years 1 month ago
Posted on AVS - no response so trying here.

Many thanks for any thoughts on Wife Factor questions below for this 7.1 system with 85% Home Theater (21 ft x 18 ft room & 12 ft ceilings; but also with double door size opening that opens into breakfast area and then from breakfast area it is totally open to kitchen & also a double door size opening to living room):

Triton 2 Towers (2) (floor standing towers - thus she wants compromise on surrounds)
SUPERSAT 50C for Center
SUPERSAT 50C for surrounds - mounted horizontally (4)
Sub: VTF-15H

How big a factor are these:

1) Use SuperSat 50C (C Version) if using as surrounds and mount horizontally?
2) SuperSat 50C as surrounds - mount in-wall vs on-wall?
3) SuperSat 50C as surrounds - mount at ceiling height vs. above-ear height?
4) SuperSat 50C as surrounds - mount at ceiling height flat against wall vs. tilted down
5) To tilt down, any "wife friendlier" methods and/or mounting hardware suggestions for SUPERSAT 50's to tilt?
6) SuperSat 50C as CENTER - mount in-wall vs. on-wall?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 13 years 1 month ago
Hi - thanks for your interest. I'll try to answer all your questions regarding your large room and 7.1 TritonCinema system.

1) Yes
2) These are not designed for in-wall, just on wall or on stands.
3) I prefer above ear height - if ceiling height they will need to be angles down.
4) Ceiling height should be tilted down.
5) If not shelf mounted using the "kickstands" then some type of swivel type universal mounting bracket utilizing the 1/4-20 threaded inserts on the back.
6) On wall or on shelf, not in-wall.

Not sure what your plans are for the separate sub in the system but that may be a bit of a configuration issue for you since you want center channel bass diverted to the Tritons, not the separate sub unless it is located in the center of the room.

Hope this helps..

• gud's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
gud Posted 13 years 1 month ago
Thanks for response - that was very helpful.

Re your separate sub issue (basically 1 question below):
if I connect sub via separate sub-out on receiver
then what bass crossover should I use?
e.g. if I set to 40 hz crossover, will all below 40hz go to separate sub and all other incl. bass above 40 hz go to Tritons (including the Triton bass drivers)?
what if set crossover lower, say 25 or even 20 - does that mean Tritons play all bass above 25hz or 20 hz
if Triton bass drivers are so good, wouldn't I set crossover as low as Tritons reasonably go and then let the HSU sub do the down & dirty movie sound effects below that low crossover
and if so, what is lowest crossover you recommend to utilize best of Triton's bass & then HSU for other/movie effects?

Again, many thanks

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 13 years 1 month ago
You're very welcome, thanks for your interest.

The problem is with the logic utilized by surround sound processors' bass management systems. If you set the Tritons to "Large", ONLY LFE information will be sent to the subwoofer. This is actually the correct setup for this type of configuration, but most users will be dissatisfied with the under utilization of the subwoofer (LFE is movies only and just low frequency effects). This is the only configuration that will work properly in a TritonCinema system plus additional subwoofer setup - if you set Tritons to "Small", they will not get the bass from the center and surrounds, the separate sub will get this information. If the sub is located in the front center of the room, this might be OK, but I'm guessing the sub will be in a corner.

If your sub has speaker level inputs and high-pass speaker level outputs then there are more configuration possibilities that can work for an additional sub in a TritonCinema system.

Hope this helps.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats SUPERSAT 50 (C) Surround Speaker Issues TO Solve