file Specs ????

• djsallad's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
djsallad Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by djsallad. info_outline
Why don't the published specs reflect the actual speaker..60 Hz - 35 kHz spec. This center drops like a rock at about 150hz I brought it home after I ordered Triton Three's and did some measurements, I sent a frequency sweep through it and you start to hear a signal around 85 hz and get some usable frequency at 150 hz . 60 hz is not even in the picture which I knew just by the size of the speaker.So why the false specs ??? Now I am questioning the Triton Three's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
The published spec represents wall mounted, room reinforced -10dB response. The spec is completely accurate.

That said, if you are buying on specs you should look elsewhere, GoldenEar products, the most award winning new speakers in decades, are for listeners. There are several hundred SuperSat owners on this website forum that will tell you about how the speaker SOUNDS, perhaps a few will chime in here.

Also might be worth noting that the SuperSat series has received some very important awards, including the Consumer Electronics Industry Design and Engineering Award for best home theater speaker system in 2011. This is awarded to only ONE system from the entire consumer electronics industry. And just in case you don't trust the industry experts on the panel that judges for these awards each year, check out the reviews - including a 5 star review by long time audio reviewer Mark Fleischman in Home Theater Magazine. Or maybe the review by CNET's The Audiophiliac (Steve Guttenberg), one of the most trusted voices in audio product reviews for decades.

These products are about how they sound, and they sound better than anything anywhere near their price. On top of that, they are attractive and sized for modern home environment. But, if you don't like the idea of a Satellite center, we have just released our SuperCenters, which are full range centers with room response FLAT to about 40 Hz. You can't mount them on the wall and they won't fit in most credenza cabinets, but they make more bass...

• djsallad's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
djsallad Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Thanks for the reply. Golden should publish that - "-10db @ 60 hz (wall mounted).. I dont buy on specs alone. It just gives some insight on what you are purchasing .
My Triton Three's should be here early next week and cant wait to get them set up. 2 channel music is the priority and home theatre second. I was mabye going to use an Aon 2 for a center channel. I have been experimenting with bookshelf(vertical) speakers vs the typical horizontal center and I think it sounds better. It makes the whole front soundstage as one. What are your thoughts on that idea ? Looks wise, I am not sure but I do have the space for it.

I look forward to setting up my new Triton Threes. I will let you know how it works out

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Hi djsallad,
Sounds to me that you are really on track to put together a great sound system.
I think you will love the Triton 3s. I sometimes think they might be able to put out a soundstage image that is even better than the Triton 2s. Not sure about that.
And the Aon 2 would make an awesome center channel, IF you can put it where the sides will not be compromised being too close to something else, so those side panels can perform their magic.
I love both these speakers. I think you are onto something wonderful. IF you put them together across the front, that is EXCITING, please let us know how it works????
I agree with you that the industry needs to standardize on reporting specs, I prefer +/- 3 dB. I think your point is well taken, as some of us just cannot get to hear all the equipment we might be interested in. IF we can manage to compare specs and narrow down what we want to hear to a couple or three items, then be lucky enough to have someplace nearby to audition those things--then the actual sound should be what determines what we buy. MOST of us are not able to do all that.
Please better, standardized specs
Have fun, and please let us know how it sounds,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Sandy insists on minimal specification detail to prevent potential customers from making bad decisions. There is absolutely nothing in a spec sheet (besides dimensions) that should impact anyone's speaker buying decisions. You will never see a technical paper full of specs for a speaker from Sandy Gross.

Wayne, a little education here. There is no valid comparison that can be made on speakers based on specs. Why? There is no standard. The FTC has tried many times to implement mandatory rules for specs to prevent consumer confusion, but it has never happened in any meaningful way. Every manufacturer reports specs they have created from their testing methods, the way they want to present them. No two are the same, guaranteed. The closest thing to a real valid comparison would be a review magazine that has consistent standards for testing review samples. One could conceivably make a specs comparison between various speakers tested under these same conditions. Of course that would represent a very limited subset of the speakers one might be considering.

I have been in the speaker business for almost 35 years, in the a/v industry for 40 years. I can tell you that there is no specification that tells you how a speaker sounds. Why? Because your ears are about 1000 times more sensitive in the critical midrange frequencies than the very best test/measuring equipment. A good speaker designer will design by measurements to a target (most will use the NRC's target curve), and then the measurements end and the listening and tweaking begins. Most speakers (caveat: from speaker companies) sound pretty good these days, but a few sound great. If you don't choose by listening, you'll never know which are which.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 9 months ago
YES, YES, AGREE, AGREE Moderator Dude.
BUT, it is a shame that there are not real and useable standards in measurement. It would help those of us who cannot get a chance to audition many speakers at all. At least we would know IF we were comparing apples with apples and be able to narrow down to a short list the speakers we really want to listen to.
But I agree about the ears. But even then, it is desperately hard to compare speakers fairly. It really needs to be done in one's own home and with one's own electronics, etc.
Yesterday, with time to kill in K. L. I went back to the dealer who let me audition the Triton 3s with a good Unison tube amp. It was a lovely demo, but the CD player cost more than my whole system, heck the speaker cables cost more than the Tritons.
But yesterday they had a pair of Elac, Spirit of Music CE towers (with a folded ribbon tweeter) set up and the guy let me hear them. They were originally around $30,000 but marked down to a mere $17,750 according to the salesman. This time they played my CD with a Densen integrated amp and a Densen CD player. Although the electronics were not cheap, they were not Hi End, IMHO.
Long story short, the dealer was not happy when I told him the Triton 3s sounded a least TWICE as good as this system.
But this comparison was FAR from apples to apples. Those speakers should be able to sound better than that. Just sayin', auditions, listening sessions need to be controlled with care too.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back