file Differences between SS50 and SS3

• Timecop's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Timecop Posted 13 years 2 months ago
( I thought I saw a post dedicated to this, but I can't seem to find it. )

The SS50's are rated down at 60hz, contain two passive radiators, and are about 1/5th of an inch thinner than the SS3's - which are rated at about 80hz. What kind of audio difference would one expect from using SS50's vs. SS3's for the front L/R channels? (assume the use of a matching FF sub)

Within your cinema systems, GE seems to recommend using a FF3 if the main L/R channels are SS3's. Similarly, GE pairs a FF4 with the SS50's when they used as main L/R. Can you help me understand the rationale behind this?
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 13 years 2 months ago
The SuperSat 50 and the SuperSat 3 are virtually the same other than their bass extension and maximum playing level. The only sonic difference is that the 50 plays lower, thanks to its larger cabinet volume and the surface area of the two large passive radiators. If both are set at a 120 Hz crossover, for example, they would sound virtually identical. We suggest the bigger sub to go with the 50's because it plays louder than the ForceField 3, so it makes sense to pair it with the speaker model that also plays louder. Of course either sub model will work with either Satellite (I had a SuperSat 50 + ForceField 3 two channel system set up in my home and it was glorious.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats Differences between SS50 and SS3