file Sat3 rear speaker height and stands

• aarmstro's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
aarmstro Posted 11 years 3 months ago
Have been enjoying new Triton2 fronts and Sat50c for several weeks now. I am going to add Sat3 rears to finish my 5.1 installation. Wall and ceiling mounting are not an option! I have done much research on rear speaker height pros and cons and it seams that ear height is best for 5 channel music. Regarding surround sound it seams the new thinking is also ear height because movie makers are sending distinct direct fire directional sounds to the rear channels - not just effects like wind,rain etc.

My ear height is approx 38 inches. I would really like to use the Golden ear stands as I know quality will be good and they will fit the Sat3s perfectly - right. The stands are 33 inches tall. Does that mean the entire Sat3 (12 inch height) attaches above the 33 inch mark or will the middle of Sat3 speaker be at the 33 inch mark?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 3 months ago
All the GoldenEar floor stands are designed to get the tweeter to approximately ear height, somewhere in the 36"-38" range.

Just a side note, FWIW, many (if not most) listeners actually prefer surround/rear speakers at least 1-2 feet above ear level.

• aarmstro's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
aarmstro Posted 11 years 3 months ago
Thanks for reply.

To get 1-2 feet above ear level I have to go with third party stands, many of which are cheap and unatractive.

Golden Ear you need to offer a good quality telescopic stand!

Thanks!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 3 months ago
We've needed to raise the speakers at trade show events and have used 3 foot tall 12" cubes to stand the speaker stands on ... worked very nicely and didn't increase tip-over ratios.

• BluesSailor's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 27
BluesSailor Posted 9 years 4 weeks ago
Time to bring this topic back up.

Regarding stand height in an ATMOS arrangement, is the conventional wisdom still to place the speakers 1-2 ft above ear height?

How balanced are the stands with SS3's and tip over concern? Are the glass bottoms weighted to keep the center of balance low?

Brad

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats Sat3 rear speaker height and stands