file 60c vs XXL

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
OK Steveo,
I have looked at the picture below and I THINK I know where you are going wrong!!!!!
Have a great night, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Splash51, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Toooo funny Wayne!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi all, Wayne has solved the problem, that thing goes in your left ear:)

Like T-Cobe I too have done troubleshooting for a living. Start with the basics.
I went back through the thread and made a list of where we are and some next step suggestions. If we use the list we can keep track of what we have done without everyone reading through a bunch of posts. We can proceed after Steveo has time to go through some of this. I recommend doing the basic good practice steps before anything else. It could be that simple????

What we know:
It’s not a source content issue. Steveo used a PS3 CD player and no difference. I am assuming HDMI to the 1040? This might make a difference if analog inputs are not having a problem (another thing in the todo list that follows)

The suggested todo list, please add or comment on this. I am just trying to have some organization to this issue. It bothers me Steveo is not getting the sonic bliss the rest of are enjoying with our T1’s

Basic good practice tasks:
Visually check all speaker connections for polarity and good contact on both ends, clean if necessary. If this is old cable, cut off the ends and expose clean copper.
Look at interconnects between 1040 and XPA-5, plugged in all the way, clean the connections if necessary. I have seen dirty connections really effect sound quality.

Troubleshooting check list:
Try listening to music through the different SS options W/O EQ engaged. This might pinpoint a Yamaha issue if the SS codecs don’t have the problem.
Replace speaker cable with new wire.
Eliminate the 1040 somehow:
Try a cd player with gain control, plug directly into XPA-5. The Oppo’s have this and it would be a really good test. Try HDMI and analaog
If you used digital to the Yamaha from a cd player try analog and visa versa.
Borrow a receiver from a friend?
Have Fun!!!!!
DT

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Lol Wayne

Thanks DT that's a fantastic to do list. I will try to get a start on it this weekend but know we are quite busy so it might be next Saturday when the Mrs is working I know for sure I should have spare time. Plus I might visit the dealer and borrow a integrated amp or a processor. I am keen on the av8802 but am concerned if I buy it I will have the same problem. I know now it's not the model 1040 at least since you get great sound out of it in pure direct so it could be MY model is having an issue.

I will check out this whole to do list and report back. Thank you all for the ongoing support. Goldenear fans and products rock and it's awesome having this little community. Cheers
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi guys partial update and a long post please excuse in advance. I went to a couple of dealers yesterday and spoke about my situation. They agreed I should fix up my source and then consider a separate amp just for L and R. Rather than buying a stereo amplifier I am going to look at my source. Thinking of the Sony HAP-Z1ES. Also considered the bluesound vault but it doesn't have WiFi and might not sound as good as the Sony. If anyone is running either of these for 2 channel music let me know.

I also ordered some QED Xt40 cables. I couldn't find the cables that the forum members recommended to me locally and the dealer recommended these. Based on a quick google search I was happy with the advise based on this.

www.whathifi.com/qed/xt40/review

Looks promising and further research last night shows me I couldn't find a bad review on these from shopping websites. I will report back on this to see if it makes a difference as the dealer had to add the plugs on them and the store was busy so he is shipping them next week.

To be honest I have come from the mindset that wire is wire however many people disagree so it was worth a shot. No point in buying a Ferrari and filling it up with poor petrol I guess so let's see how it goes.

Anyway another update related directly to this thread. My wife was working yesterday so I a lot of time fo back to my goldenear dealer and he had the XXL in a box ready for me for a free home trial. He was smart because he knew if I took this home I was going to buy it. :)

I have to say stepping up from the 60c is a huge upgrade! More so than I thought. I was never unhappy with the performance of the 60c matched with the triton 1s for movies and I have to say the Yamaha that I complain about is an excellent performer for movies. This addition of the xxl took it to another level I didn't even know I needed.

Impressions: I noticed an immediate difference in impact as well as an increase it immersion in any film I was watching. The centre improves actions scene in a huge way but it the subtle improvements on normal scenes and dialogue that is the surprising thing. Footsteps, doors closing, dialogue, background noise and more have all been improved massively. This is not only an upgrade for action movie buffs but any sort of normal rom com or drama type movie. Everything has been improved.

It may seem I am talking down on the action movies. Let me tell you I am not. This XXL is audio heaven in action movies. I was testing "The dark knight" last night. The punches, the explosions just everything was incredible. The low frequency sounds I am getting from this is great. It's like someone else said it's like a mini T1 on its side. It is so much better having low frequencies coming from the centre (I am running it in large I will keep testing small and different crossovers but large sounds incredible on the rx1040)

As others have mentioned these are born to play with the triton 1s. I feel now I have a wall of sound coming from the front of the screen. Another improvement I wasn't expecting was how much better this speaker images with my SS3 surround I have in the back. Compared to my 60c I feel that the XXL plays better with the SS3 too. I am watching scenes I am familiar with last night and I feel more immersed with the surrounds. I can feel now when a helicopter goes from front to back and bullets are racing past my face to the surrounds SO much better. I don't understand why this is happening but I am not complaining.

For any T1 owners or for anyone with any goldenear speakers I would recommend an audition on of one of these in your set up.

This XXL barely fits on my cabinet cause it is on my TV stand. I have to lean this speaker on the stand and I had to push the TV back just to make it fit. I had to add a piece of foam so the speaker would sit flush on the stand. I will have to wall mount the TV now.

I will leave you all with this thought on how much this is a good speaker. Now I normally hate anything obstructing my view in the screen. If my wife tries to put an ornament or anything on the table in front of the TV I always swiftly remove it. Even if it's in the corner if the screen. Because this speaker is so big it is actually blocking about 1 and a half inches at the bottom of my screen. This xxl is that good that I am willing to overlook this to get the sound it is producing. :)

I know I need to fix my 2 channel set up and probably should be spending money there but let me tell you my 5 channel set up sounds heavenly and it was worth it! :)
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe, aribraun

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Steveo,

I am very happy you like the SCXXL!! I had a similar experience when I upgraded to the SCXXL. I am also running SS3 for rear and surrounds. Its a great combo. I am considering changing the rears to towers(T2)??

I had a thought, you say the SS audio is fantastic. Have you tried listening to music (2 channel)in SS mode(PLIIx Music) Set the EQ back to natural, then see how it sounds. If it sound good there must be something wrong in the Yamaha.

Enjoy!!
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back