file 60c vs XXL

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
DT, thanks for chiming in, and I hear you about YPAO.
Audyssey works much the same way, checks for speakers being hooked up correctly in phase first. It is just that it (Audyssey) is wrong almost half the time. YPAO may be much better. I only suggested that it just takes a minute to switch wires and find out.
Hope this helps.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steveo, Splash51, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Steveo,

Okay, I admit I'm coming in late here but have we knocked any of the low hanging fruit off the tree? Seems like we haven't checked anything off of the list. We haven't established phase or looked at any room layout issues with pics. Up front, I'd say those speaker cables certainly look suspect. Getting some inexpensive speaker wire certainly would not hurt. I've had good luck with AudioQuest wire by the foot. It's about a dollar a foot and sounds great. Monoprice also sells very inexpensive wire.

After ordering some inexpensive wire, my next step would be troubleshooting and confirming your connections and audio settings. Connections and settings make a BIG difference. Direct sounds great in my set up and use of Audessey or any EQ settings does more harm than good. I've also found that the less signal processing, the better everything sounds. Sound engineers that mix records, by and large, are far better at mixing levels than the majority of the rest of us... I use analog RCAs out of my Oppo direct through my receiver for best sound. Digital signal transmission into my Integra strips the richness and depth from my sound. Huge difference!

Lastly, if we have not already, can we see the room layout with all the furnishings, etc? Another member had issues for a significant period here and I believe it wound up being the placement of a coffee table... Correcting the room acoustics makes a big difference. I do a lot of troubleshooting for a living and it's always best to start with the easy stuff before you start going down too many rabbit holes. Let us know how you progress and good luck. Please post some pics if you haven't already.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Steveo

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Steveo,

Out of curiosity, what type of cables are you using to connect your Yamaha to your XPA-5? I've been getting my Emotiva set up as well and found that the first set of RCAs I was using sounded poor. Just another possibility if you're using really bad cables.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Steveo

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Thanks for your input T Cobe. I have rang a local dealer about audioquest and he is recommending the Rocket 44 but its about $41 AUD a metre.

Whats the exact name of your cable for $1 a foot because its obviously a big difference in price? I will look into the other suggestions for cables from the others as well

For RCA cables from the receiver to the amp I am using these brands or something pretty similar. They definitely have a more premium feel to them than a normal RCA cable with flimsy black wire if you know what I am talking about.

www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-%26-Sound---Home...ugs---1-5mt/p/WQ7226

You make a good point when you are talking about digital vs analog connects. The common denominator I am using is HDMI to my applet TV and well as to my PS3. As mentioned I am looking at maybe buying this and running it from RCA to my receiver over analog.

www.sony.com.au/product/hap-z1es

This has a pretty good DAC and have heard of great tings plus it will allow me to store high res files as well.

I will also do what Wayne suggests and swap the cables out from red to black and see if that works. I have to recheck all the connections in case but I do remember I have swapped them out when I added the XPA5 so I am 90% sure they are in phase but I will check.

I might ring my dealer and see if he can lend me a top of the range Denon receiver or pre amp. Since I am wanting to go Av 8802 I figure this will be the closest I can get as no dealer wants to lend out a $6500 Preamp it seems :)

Looks like I have a few things to try out :)) I will report back when I tinker some more. Thankyou all for your replies and your help. No suggestions will go unnoticed. Thanks again
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Rocket 44 is a bi-wire cable. Use any AudioQuest cable look on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Steveo,

I think I am using the FLX/DB 14-2. It's their bulk spool wire. My local dealer carries it by the foot. It was right about $1 a foot. Hopefully your run is small and this will be a low cost upgrade and test.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back