file Some questions on my soon to be Tritons

• miamifins's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
miamifins Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Wow, I feel like a caveman after reading that. Prior to an upgrade in my av gear would you suggest I set Onkyo to 4 or 6 ohms when I crank up the sound.

Thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tyler_jennings's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
tyler_jennings Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Definitely 4ohm, did you see my last post?

I appreciate your advice. I will set it to 4ohms.

Until I can afford to buy seperates for the Tritons,(after I put such a dent in our income, I dont see my wife letting me get it anytime soon) does anyone at Goldenear have any recommendations on how I would set up my Onkyo to work best with your speaker system?

• tyler_jennings's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
tyler_jennings Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Sure thing! The Onkyo will sound ok with the 4ohm switch on and should run safe with the speakers. I imagine you'll experience compressed dynamics of some degree, but heck you may not even notice! If it sounds good to your ears, then keep it.

If you are looking for an upgrade though, you don't necessarily need separates. Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, Nad -- they should all have integrated amps that are rated into 4 ohms.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 7 months ago
miamifins wrote:

I appreciate your advice. I will set it to 4ohms.

Until I can afford to buy seperates for the Tritons,(after I put such a dent in our income, I dont see my wife letting me get it anytime soon) does anyone at Goldenear have any recommendations on how I would set up my Onkyo to work best with your speaker system?

First off, thanks to everyone for chiming in here, lots of good info. Regarding the receiver, I would suggest you TRY the 6 ohm setting - I think it will SOUND better, if your receiver overheats or shuts down then you can switch to the 4ohm setting, but I don't think that will be an issue for you.

Regarding setup, as per the manual: Speaker wire-only connection to the Tritons, on receiver set Triton (L/R Mains) to "Large" or "Full Band", set center and surrounds to "Small" and select a 120Hz crossover, set Subwoofer to "None". Adjust Tritons' bass level control to taste, starting at the 10 o'clock position.

I really don't want to be a pain but I ran into another possible issue with setting this system up with the Tritons.

I read a few comments about how the Audyssey muti eq set up may degrade the sound of my soon to be Tritons. My salesman asked his sales rep and this is what I got.

"This is only from our own experience: The standard level Audyssey changed performance in a way that we felt degraded the sound, quite substantially. It is very limited in what it can do, so 'correction' might be a really optimistic term for its capability. We have not tried Audyssey Pro but it is supposed to be better and more capable. One of the 'great unknowns' of any of these systems is what the target response curve is.

The best thing is for the customer to set the system up, break it in and then dial it in 'old school' with a tape measure and SPL meter. Listen for a few days and make notes of all settings. Then try Audyssey and see if that sounds better. If it does, stick with that, if not, go back to the original settings.

After reading that I researched how to use an spl meter (as you can tell I'm new to higher end gear, even though these speakers are under entry level in HTM)

I am going to go with the advice used in this article

www.eclecticelectronics.net/ht-home-thea...ion-using-spl-meter/

My questions are...
Do I want to have 75db from the surrounds (the same as the front Tritons)

Do I have to change any eq settings? They are all flat at 0db right now.

When I run Audyssey and if distance on all speakers is the same as my (tape measure) measurments does that mean the other settings will be close to what I'm looking for?

Thanks again for all the support in my concerns.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Some questions on my soon to be Tritons