file Some questions on my soon to be Tritons

• miamifins's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
miamifins Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Well, "my soon to be" are now "my owned" Tritions. I've go the the 2 towers, supersat 50 center and the supersat surrounds.

I got it on Wendsday (2 days ago)

I'm sorry to say that I'm still waiting for the "wow" moment that I keep reading about.
While the system sounds really good. I have not experienced the 3 dimensional sound I've heard so much about.

I'm replacing a mix and match speaker setup from 1998 that cost around $1500. I was really hoping that these speakers would be jaw dropping from day one. But this is a work in progress and I'm giving it some time to see what they sound like when they "blossom" after break in.

I keep trying different positioning. So far I like the fronts at "x" distance apart as opposed to 3/4 "x".

I'm using audessy sometimes and eq off sometimes. So far eq off sounds louder but not a great difference otherwise.

I used a tape measure and spl meter so that all speakers at at 75db.

My own preference is to have more bass than what some might say is normal. (My old 12" sub was located behind one side of my couch) so I've found that the 2'oclock setting sounds the best to me.

I've been throwing the best in multi channel that is out there (at least in my genre of music) I've been playing Band on the run/dts, Hell freezes over/dts dvd, Iron man dts-hd, A few dolby true hd movies. To break in the speakers I'm running Zeppelin live dts/dvd when I'm gone.

I'm trying different listeng modes all the time and sticking with which one sounds best.

I'm still trying to justify to my wife why I had to have these speakers. With the sound it's producing I havn't been able to and honestly I cant justify it myself as of yet.

Please don't get me wrong. The speakers sound great. I'm just not hearing what reviewers and other folks that have made post are hearing. I would love to keep you posted on my progress and let you know if anything changes.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do different to achieve the sound I've read in reviews (the last one in Home theater mag said St. Peter would be listening to these at the pearly gates/I assure you not my sound) it would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Without being there, evaluating your setup and trying different settings (and probably electronics), it is anybody's guess as to what's going on. One thing for sure is that the first 50-100 hours the speaker will change substantially, so I wouldn't bother getting to concerned until they are broken in fully. If you still feel something is lacking, its time to get some help from your local dealer regarding room placement, system setup and associated equipment. I (and everyone here) can assure you there is plenty of "wow" to be had with a properly setup TritonCinema with the correct associated equipment.

The comments here all seem to question the Onkyo as the identified weak point. If things don't improve, that would be my suggestion of where to start, I would also tread very lightly on the room correction system, I'd be surprised if that was not a contributing factor to any sonic problems.

Thanks for the reply. I am most certainly waiting for the break in period. One point on the Onkyo (another HT top pick) is that changing from Audessy to eq "off" is just one change in the settings. Very simple. I use eq off 95% of the time.

I'm really trying everything that I've read and asked prior to buying the system.
It sounds good, even great and some points. When I get the "wow" I will let you know. If not I'll take your advice and contact the dealer and use your suggestions.

• Chad2815's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 6
Chad2815 Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Did you turn the "Double Bass" On on your Onkyo? This is only selectable after going to full range on the fronts on my 809 and it made all the difference in the world when I selected it.

Double base is not an option if I set sub to none. It only appears if I tell it that I have a sub?

• Chad2815's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 6
Chad2815 Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Oh sorry I was wondering if you had a sub after I posted that, give it a try it only takes a few seconds to turn it back off. I think this is a function I'm the Onkyos that eliminates the need to set subwoofer to Off that GE recommends. It ensures that both your Fronts and Sub receive the low frequencies. I know whenever I turn that feature off I can definitely tell a big difference in a bad way.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Some questions on my soon to be Tritons