file Some questions on my soon to be Tritons

• miamifins's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
miamifins Posted 12 years 7 months ago
I finally saved up enough to buy the Triton 2's and the supersat 50's for surrounds. I already have the supersat 50c for my center (I couldn't wait)
I have my deposit down and will be picking up my new speakers on the 15th of Feb.

I had a few questions that I was hoping could be answered by the experts.

First, the reviews I have read said these speakers will work best with a mid to high end reviever. Looking at some of the prices of the receivers they review I was wondering how my receiver which is a Onkyo tx-sr806 will fair?

Specs say the Onkyo has 130 watts/channel (2ch driven) @ 8 ohms
I'm really hoping I wont have to save up for another receiver but if these speakers require more than what this receiver puts out I will make that a goal.

I also wondered about the ohm settings on my receiver. It has a setting for 4 or 6ohms. Because the Triton 2's are 8 ohm speakers I would set that to 6 ohms, correct?

Lastly, I'm using standard speaker wire for my current speakers. I'm sure if I ask the dealer he will suggest I buy expensive ones. I was just wondering if you at Goldenear recommend a certain speaker wire or a certain type of wire that works best with these speakers. After spending over 3k I dont want to cheap out on the last part of the chain but I also did not want to throw away money either.

I'm looking forward to owning this system and thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tyler_jennings's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
tyler_jennings Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Your Onkyo will work fine, but you might want to shop around for a nice integrated that's actually rated into 4 ohms, no silly switches and such. I have a NAD 356BEE I like a lot in my 2 channel system and I use Outlaw Audio gear in the HT. They're both pretty good values, in my opinion.

The very last thing you want to spend money on is cables, everything else in the system is more important. The basic AudioQuest cables with banana plugs look nice and sound fine, but I can't tell the difference between them and the cables I made myself form an extension cord. I do admit the AudioQuest look better hooked up to my 3k speakers.

• miamifins's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
miamifins Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Thanks so much for the input. I am trulry a novice at the audio game(been using an under 2,500 complete system for 11 years) , so I guess my only question would be...
when you say no silly switches do you mean no manipulating stereo into surround modes?

The reason I ask is I do about 70% movies and the 30% music I listen to is dvd-a, dts audio, multi channel pcm and the blu ray dolby and dts hd, in multi channel.

Would you still recommend seperates to push these speakers?

Thanks for the cable advice!

The "silly switch" I was referring to is the impedance switch on your Onkyo. Basically, it can't actually run a 4ohm load, so to prevent you from melting the amp, and possibly damaging your speakers, the switch limits the amount of power it will attempt to output. You won't find such a switch on any amp that is actually rated into 4 ohms or less.

If you'd like to read about it: www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-...-power-supply-basics

Here's a little monoblock that's rated 200w into 8ohm and 300w into a 4ohm load: www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

I really like Outlaw gear, but that one is just to show you what kind of specs you want to look for in an amp section. If you take a look at the pictures you'll see no switch for impedance.

I run this guy in my 2ch system:
nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifi...Integrated-Amplifier

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by tyler_jennings. Reason: duplicate info_outline
[dup post]

From the Stereophile review of the Triton Two:

"The electrical impedance (fig.1) drops below 4 ohms in the midrange and above the audioband."

and not just a little bit, the range from 100hz to 2khz is all under 6ohm impedance. Hopefully we can a recommendation from someone at Goldenear on your Onkyo. I'd suggest the 4ohm setting and I think you may be in the market for a new receiver soon =/

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Some questions on my soon to be Tritons