question-circle Stiff (or loose) bass adjuster knob/pot - Triton 2+

• PoisonFush's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
PoisonFush Posted 1 year 9 months ago
I have had the amp/dsp unit replaced in one of my Triton 2+ Towers after failing.

The newer one has much more resistance in the bass volume knob than my original to the point where it feels too stiff to turn and the detent at midday is not very pronounced.

Could maybe argue that my original is too loose in comparison, but it feels better for me!

Is there an easy of adjusting these to balance somewhere in the middle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Hi PoisonFush.

I cannot answer your question with any degree of certainty, but I can offer my opinion.

First, having owned two pairs (4 speakers) of Triton towers (T1, now TRef) I can confirm that in all cases the center detent of the subwoofer control is a subtle catch. So I tend to think that is by design on all Triton powered speaker models. It is what it is. The catch, albeit subtle, is, IMO, "good enough" to know you've positioned the knob correctly.

As to one knob being more resistant to movement relative to the other, I would advise that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". There are two screws (on my model anyway) somewhat adjacent to the knob that you could try tightening or loosening. You could try to pull (gently and with the assumption it's detachable) the black handle portion of the knob off to check if there's a lock nut of some kind behind it and if so adjust. Lastly, if you do pull off the black handle portion of the knob, perhaps a spritz of WD-40 (or a more appropriate lubricant specific for electronics) where the stem meets the face of the amp plate could help.

I'd be more concerned if the adjustment clockwise or counterclockwise we're producing different results.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: PoisonFush

• PoisonFush's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
PoisonFush Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions - certainly I was considering pulling off the knob to see what - if anything - was adjustable underneath!

Whilst IME all pots allow for this, I didn't want to start tugging/levering it without some assurance that it was designed to come off in this way!

Good idea about the screws - I might check these first and wait to see if anyone has successfully removed and restored the knob!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Stiff (or loose) bass adjuster knob/pot - Triton 2+