file Schiit Aegir - Good match for Golden Ear's?

• Kib's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Kib Posted 2 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Kib. info_outline
Hi Guys,

I have owned a Tube Amp before, and while I loved the 'Thick' sound, the bass was not tight and that a big no-no for me. The GE Bass slap was replaced with bass bloom which sucks. Also to me, the 'image focus' was less defined. So I am leaning towards Class A. Any experience with a Schiit Aegir or a similar low power Class A amp on Triton's? Want to know if its worth the investment. Imagining and bass speed are very important attributes to me. Please share your experience.

Cheers,
Kib

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 2 years 11 months ago
Hi Kib, I have to start by saying I haven't heard the Schitt Aegir amplifier with the GoldenEar Triton towers. However, knowing the sound quality of the Triton towers quite well - and the sonic characteristics of the Schitt Aegir amplifier, I'd say this would be a good match. Specifically, I would expect you to hear great imaging, "neutral" midrange and purity throughout the midrange and high frequencies. I would also expect you to hear deep, rich bass - that would lean a bit toward richness, rather than quickness. Unfortunately, there's a subjective aspect to whether you'd prefer the rich bass response of this combination or not. I would still expect you to hear a good amount of detail and clarity in the bass response, however, I can't say for sure it would be quick enough for your listening preference. (I believe Schitt has a 15 day money back guarantee. I'd say it's worth auditioning.) Happy Listening!

• JasonViolin913's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 1
JasonViolin913 Posted 2 years 11 months ago
I have the 1.R's and using the Schiit Aegirs (2) in mono mode (80 rms). I am a professional violinist and audiophile. Yes they sound neutral, great imaging and also yes there is plenty of bass but not quite as tight as I would like. Changing the feet made a different.
I am using now the spikes and Herbies sliders under the spikes, with much improved image stability and a little better bass tightness.
Question: Since the bass and the passive radiators are driven by the internal amplifier, would not the ext. amplifier ( as long as it was of excellent quality and provided a excellent match for the Tweeter and midranges) matter very little regarding bass quickness and tightness. Since I now have the 1.R's I no longer need the Rel T/9i I was using with the Triton 2+. What I do notice now is that my media room 19 X 14 X 10 foot ceilings is far more in need of treatment. It is a hardwood on concrete floor. I would like to tighten the bass.
Suggestions? The 1.r's are less strained on complex material than the 2+ speakers. Some folks have suggested the Prima-luma amps
but I can't wrap my head around how that would help of change the bass in room.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 2 years 11 months ago
Hi JasonViolin913, Even though your main stereo amplifier is not directly powering the subwoofers built-into the Triton towers, this main amplifier still provides a signal to the tower's built-in subwoofer amplifier - and this signal still has some influence on the bass characteristics - or clarity and quickness of the bass produced by the towers. In a sense, your main amplifier is acting like a pre-amp to the amplifier built-into the towers. If we want quick, accurate sounding bass, we'll want to send the towers a quick, accurate bass signal from your main amplifier.

You might also try upgrading the power cords used on these Triton towers. It may not seem intuitive, but these power cords influence the clarity of bass produced by the Triton towers as well. Happy Listening!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Schiit Aegir - Good match for Golden Ear's?