• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Non tube gear, like transistors, capacitors might benefit the most! I usually keep the system on overnight when possible, longer time on does make for warmer sound. Living in TX, with thunderstorms rolling through this time of year, unplugging everything when threatening weather is on tap, is also a way of life here. Though I’m a fan of 24/7 on when practical. I’ve read that transistors for instance take 24 hours to reach stasis under power. Controversial subject maybe, but I’m a believer. I’ve heard the SQ difference enough times to believe it.
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Supermario

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Supermario's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
Supermario Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Agree with all You wrote. I got class A amp and its a big spender, so I turn it of overnight, same as tube preamp. First 30min when turned on, that amp sounds like crap, but hour or so later its a stairway to heaven.
PS Audio P5, Innuos ZEN MkIII, PS Audio DSJr, EAR 864, Pass Aleph5, GoldenEar Triton Reference, Martin Logan ESL (PS Audio AC10, AQ NRG Y3, Cardas Neutral Reference, AQ Cheetah, AQ Kilimanjaro)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Tube gear may be an exception. Not just the power use, but also the shortened life expectancy. Conversely, reduced off/discharge, on/recharge cycles may enhance capacitor life.

Probably an hour warmup is perfect for tubes?

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Supermario

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

Supermario wrote: Because sound is better when amps are warmed up and they use only around 5W at idle.

In your opinion and in a subjective sense perhaps. I'm not sure - of course I could be wrong - you would find any objective measurement data to support that claim. Also, have you tried a proper blind test to prove - to yourself, not necessarily anyone else - there is difference?

If you talk to folks in the electronics repair industry I think you'll find that by-and-large the consensus is that leaving electronics on 24/7 isn't good for the health/longevity of the particular component. IMO, electronics need some rest, similar to the way people do. There is also the small additional cost of extra and unnecessary (IMO) power consumption which granted is somewhat moot.

Also, even if there were a sound improvement and assuming you could/do hear it, how much time from fully off does it take to get to "optimum" temperature? Who really knows? Probably just a matter of minutes so again leaving on all the time makes no sense, IMO.

The aforementioned stated, their your speakers so do as pleased. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Leaving amp on for 15 hours in a day should put less stress on it than having it switching on/off several times, as it will do with any pause in listening for more than 30min.
PS Audio P5, Innuos ZEN MkIII, PS Audio DSJr, EAR 864, Pass Aleph5, GoldenEar Triton Reference, Martin Logan ESL (PS Audio AC10, AQ NRG Y3, Cardas Neutral Reference, AQ Cheetah, AQ Kilimanjaro)

rjohn79395 wrote: Tube gear may be an exception. Not just the power use, but also the shortened life expectancy. Conversely, reduced off/discharge, on/recharge cycles may enhance capacitor life.

Probably an hourr warmup is perfect for tubes?

Rick

Tube preamp is OK after 30min, but A class amp needs more time.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers T Refs - always on possible?