question-circle powered Tritons vs triton 5 or sevens with 2 super subs

• johnson81's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
johnson81 Posted 4 years 7 months ago
is there an advantage to having Triton 2's over Triton 7's with 2 super subs? i currently own the super center xxl and a pair of 7's. and am using my martin logan Dynamo 700 for sub at this time. I am looking at making all my speakers Goldenear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Johnson 81

Am I interpreting your question correctly that you want to decide between replacing your T7's with T2's and retiring your Marrtin Logan sub with therefore no external sub, or adding 2 Goldenear SuperSubs to your T7 and SuperCenter XXL set up? (Or replacing the T7's with T5's.)

First, having 100% Goldenear speakers with their perfect tonal and musicality matching is worth pursuing!

I do like the powered Tritons like the T2's for their integrated bass section, BUT 2 SuperSubs matched with T7's or T5's would have superb bass slam and match together well. I know I'd lean in that SuperSub direction. (T2's would work perfectly with the SuperSubs also!!! :whistle: )

Just my opinion. If I misinterpreted, please advise.

Have fun!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, johnson81

• johnson81's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
johnson81 Posted 4 years 7 months ago
If I get the 5’s they have larger midrange drivers than the 2’s or even the reference. 5’s it would seem when used with the super center xxl would have a better midrange presence than all the powered tritons. I currently have the 7’s and the super center xxl.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
The 5's would be a big step up over the 7's in terms of bass extension, And clarity, with their newer generation crossovers.

I wouldn't say the T5/XXL combo has more mid range presence than the powered Tritons. Yes, it would have great mid range presence. And yes, the T5 has the same mid range driver size (not design) as the Triton Reference, without the Reference's further refinements of low mass voice coil, redesigned cone, Focused Field magnet, etc. Driver size or driver count alone doesn't determine mid range presence. BUT, the T5's would indeed be a great fit with the XXL, and SuperSubs!!!! That would be an amazing system.
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, johnson81

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Hi Johnson81,

I own a pair of Triton Ones and a pair of Triton Sevens. I also own a Paradigm DSP3400 15-inch Powered sub and a Klipsch 12 inch Powered Sub I have conducted numerous experiments with different setups, reports about which can be found in this forum.

I use my Tritons exclusively for music - mostly classical. I have a totally separate system for video sound. Both my music and video sound systems reside in our upstairs bonus room (which my grandson has designated as "The Man-Cave").

I have concluded that the best integrated bass sound for music is provided by the sub sections of my two Triton Ones. Therefore, I use my external subs for upstairs video and for a separate downstairs music system.

My advice to you is that, if you are primarily interested in faithful music reproduction, then consider a pair of the powered Tritons with their integrated sub sections. If you are using your system for video and music, you might want to develop a method to provide an LFE input to a separate powered sub for additional bass when watching action movies.

If you find that you seek more bass from a powered Triton set, then consider this approach: Rather than adding a separate sub, consider providing an LFE input to the Tritons from a separate AV Receiver. This approach is called "Double Bass" and is frowned upon by some audiophiles. However, it allows you to add controllable additional bass when listening at low volume levels, or when the bass line is too thin for your tastes.

I use this approach with my Triton Ones in my music system and I am very pleased with the results.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
I had T7’s paired with two subs and considered upgrading to t5’s. However, just go to a local shop and listen to the difference between T5’s and T2’s. It’s a world apart, and the bass will be equalized in the room a lot more with the integrated subs.

I still run my T2’s paired with external subs - but when playing 2-channel music I only run a small 8” sealed sub. I use both external subs only when watching movies.

If you’re on the fence at all, get the T2’s and use the T7’s as side surrounds (as I have done), it’s glorious.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers powered Tritons vs triton 5 or sevens with 2 super subs