file Need to unplug power?

• jpv1's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jpv1 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
I have owned a pair on Triton Ones since October 2018. I was unplugging them when I was thru listening. I read it is best to just leaved them plugged in all the time.
My question is if I swap out an amp should I power down the T1's before disconnecting the speaker wires from the amp?

John
VPI Scoutmater, Grado Sonata V2, Counterpoint SA7 and SA12 (modded by Altavista Audio),Triton One, Dedicated room
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Yes, it is best to leave the speakers plugged into "live" AC power so they can enter sleep mode about 40 minutes or so after you're done listening and come back on when they sense a signal again. They draw a very minimal amount of power with they're in sleep mode.

If you're changing out your gear, then unplug the speakers from "live" AC and let the amps discharge for a few minutes before changing out any wiring or connectors.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

jpv1 wrote: I have owned a pair on Triton Ones since October 2018. I was unplugging them when I was thru listening. I read it is best to just leaved them plugged in all the time.
My question is if I swap out an amp should I power down the T1's before disconnecting the speaker wires from the amp?

John

Hi John. Welcome to the forum.

Please allow me to offer another perspective from that of the moderator. I don't think you literally mean that you've read it is "best" to leave them plugged in. If you have, please site the source. I'm not speaking of the moderators response herein the forum, I'm speaking of Golden Ear literature. Rather, you can leave them plugged in from a convenience perspective. In my case I always power the speakers down (i.e. deny AC) when finished listening. However, I would not power the speakers off if I was going to listen again within a 16 hour or so period. Also, I wait for the speakers to enter standby mode (which should take closer to 28 minutes than 40) prior to powering them off. Despite the fact there is no harm in powering them off immediately (or while actively playing music for that matter) I prefer not to hear the "thump" (capacitors discharging rapidly) sound that the speaker amplifier makes if you power down prior to it entering standby. One advantage to powering off is that when powering back on, you can observe the light at the rear of the speaker and note the number of flashes. I forget offhand the precise number, but it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25. I have the exact number of flashes available should you want it. Point is the speaker amplifier re-initializes and I find this desirable. Another advantage is less electrical usage, albeit I agree it doesn't use all that much in standby. Best of luck. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• jpv1's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
jpv1 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Thanks for the reply to this question. I'll follow your advise with powering the speakers off when not in use. Living in the Mid West you never know when some storm will come thru and mess with the power where I live.
I didn't know about the flashing light counting and what they mean. If you could publish that I'd like to know.

To another power related question - What is the feeling around here regarding power cables? I saw the post elsewhere on this Forum about cables but there is a lot to go thru in that one.

John
VPI Scoutmater, Grado Sonata V2, Counterpoint SA7 and SA12 (modded by Altavista Audio),Triton One, Dedicated room

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You're welcome, John. I shall get back to you herein this forum thread with the number of flashes the amplifier light makes when initialized. As far as what it means, consider the essence/significance. When you first purchased the speakers and plugged them in for the first time, this was the time to literally count the number of flashes (in addition to noting the periodicity between flashes, which should be one second). There is no significance other than if at a later point in time you notice that the number of flashes and/or periodicity between flashes has changed. That could , IMO, be indicative of a problem. Note that there is no published literature from GET regarding the number of flashes. I'm simply using the number as "one more indicator" that everything is "exactly perfect". With regard to power cords, I'm using the stock/supplied cords. I personally do not subscribe to the thinking that cords will make much if any difference, however, I understand there is much debate in this regard.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

jpv1 wrote: ...... I didn't know about the flashing light counting and what they mean. If you could publish that I'd like to know.....

As I mentioned previously there is no significance other than if at a later point in time you notice that the number of flashes and/or periodicity between flashes has changed. That could , IMO, be indicative of a problem. Note that there is no published literature from GET regarding the number of flashes. I'm simply using the number as "one more indicator" that everything is "exactly perfect".

The aforementioned stated, I have noted that for the T1 and T Ref, upon plug-in (initially providing power), the number of flashes is 25, at one second intervals between flashes. Then the light goes off until signal is supplied. Upon denial of power and after the light is already out, there is 1 flash approximately 30 seconds later.

If I were to take an educated guess, I would say your speakers will exhibit the same behavior . Of course, you would need to check them one at a time. Also, should your number of flashes be different, I wouldn't say that indicates a problem. If the number of flashes between both your speakers differ, I would say that is unusual. The key - IMO - is to understand the number while the speakers are operating normally, so that you can use the number as an indicator to the speakers overall health.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Need to unplug power?