• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 5 months ago

jpv1 wrote:
To another power related question - What is the feeling around here regarding power cables? I saw the post elsewhere on this Forum about cables but there is a lot to go thru in that one.

John

Hi, John

Ha! That is the question that gets batted around a lot, with lots of skepticism.. Yes the Power Cord thread is long....

Shortest answer I can give is that a number of forum members including myself kind of played around with different power cords, mostly skeptical that they could possibly make a difference, and on what types of gear. Turns out GOOD power cords have done amazing things for a number of us. Typical results are cleaner sound, better dynamics, more natural voicing. And the biggest effects have been on sources/DAC's. True of all power cords? Heck no!!!!

A short list/tour of the many posts on the power thread thread of power cords folks here have found to be effective ( NOT by any means inclusive of the wide world of suppliers and models) includes AntiCables, Nordosts, Signal Magic, Audience.... Prices on models that members have said work for them range from $150 for Audience Forte F3's to $630 or so for Nordost Heimdall 2's. There is no end to the upper range... Nordost Odin 2's go for $17,000 or so. :whistle:

IF you are thinking about putting your toes in the power cord water, I'd highly recommend starting small, and on your source first.

Many theories on why upgraded power cords can help in any way, from just lower impedance to better noise insulation to better suppression of the digital noise created by the digital processing component it's connected to (hence the preference for using on sources/DAC's as a first step).

Hope that helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 4 months ago

jpv1 wrote: To another power related question - What is the feeling around here regarding power cables? I saw the post elsewhere on this Forum about cables but there is a lot to go thru in that one.

John

My two cents on the power cord subject. I experimented with my TRefs (similar bass amplification as the T1s) by replacing the stock power cords with relatively inexpensive 20A cords I purchased at Amazon for about $18 each.
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W7THUQ/r..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that these cords have a NEMA 5-20P plug for the wall end with one blade horizontal, so you'd need to have a hospital grade 20 A outlet. (See the picture on Amazon.)

I didn't expect to hear much of a difference, but I was surprised to hear an improvement in bass slam and control with these cords. After a week or so of listening, I switched back to the stock cords to see if I was imagining things. Sure enough, the bass lost some of its power. So back to the new cords which I use today. A very nice improvement for $40 worth of cables. (And, another $40 for outlets.)

I think the main reason the cables are better is low impedance, specifically low resistance.

I haven't experimented with expensive exotic cords because the powered amplifiers in the Tritons are subwoofer amps that handle only low frequencies. Expensive cables are built to deliver clean signals across the audio spectrum, but you don't need that for a sub amp. ( My opinion.) Some of these cords MIGHT deliver even better bass, but I haven't explored over that hill.

Anyway, this is a cheap way to find out if you hear a difference.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• jpv1's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
jpv1 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
I already have the the 20 amp outlets in my room. When I had my house built I had 2 - 20 amp dedicated lines installed. I was thinking the same thing about the bass amp but I'm wasn't sure if the stock power cord would be a limiting factor.

GDHAL - I counted and I also get 25 flashes on both speakers.
VPI Scoutmater, Grado Sonata V2, Counterpoint SA7 and SA12 (modded by Altavista Audio),Triton One, Dedicated room
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Circling back to the original question...I leave my TRefs plugged in all the time. Was into the wall, now into my P20. If I leave for more than a few days, I shut down and unplug everything.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Need to unplug power?