file Triton One Bass Response

• Danalex's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Danalex Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Ok this is a first for me. I've never started a thread in my life. That said I'm about three months in with my T1's and finding their bass response the be very thing in my listening are. I'm 90% certain it's due to room acoustics (left side opens to secondary room and cabinet in middle of wall with T1's. Hey not everyone can dedicate a whole room solely to listening.

That said, I've had several speakers over prior 25 years in this room and all sounded fuller on the bass end. The imagining and clarity of the T1's is otherwise unsurpassed. Not many options for movement but wondering if anyone has experienced the same?

I can't believe I'm thinking about dual subs and neither can my dealer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Danalax,

What you may be hearing is a different bass sound when just listening to your Triton Ones. Bass is well integrated within the overall sound emanating from the Ones. For me, this is apparent when I listen to classical music. But, when I listen to piano/bass/drum jazz combos with a pronounced bass line, and the lower room sound levels I typically employ, I don't have as much bass "thump" with just the Ones. I employ a separate sub which I can switch on when I want that thump. Otherwise, it is not in play.

Hope my comment helps you to consider experimenting.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Danalex,

Welcome to the forum! Everybody here had a first time, too.

I had a pair of T1s before I got my TRefs, and my T1s had a great bass response. I also have a room that has a big opening on the side.

So, some possibilities (I'm sure you've looked at these):

Where are your T1 bass amplifiers set? It's good to start at the 12:00 position and adjust from there.

Are your T1 amplifiers turning on when you play music? Are the blue lights on?

The T1s have a pretty low minimum impedance, a little over 3 ohms in places. If your music amp is low powered, it may be running out of steam.

You said you've had other speakers in the same room. Have they -- and the listening position -- been in the same place? If it is a room acoustics problem, you might be parked at the wrong place in a room mode that could kill the bass sound. You could experiment with different speaker or listening positions and see if things improve.

In my experience, the T1s and the TRefs are terrific speakers with wonderful extended -- and, as Art said, well integrated -- bass response.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for responding. The internal amps are most definitely working - blue lights on. I've actually started at the 12:00 position and really almost have to go full bore to appreciate what the T1's can offer in my listening position. I've moved them around to the extent I can, which is somewhat limited by room layout. I do believe that the bass is getting 'stuck' (for lack of a better term) along the plane of the speakers, which are on either side of a fairly large entertainment cabinet. If I sit around 3 feet from the center of the cabinet, it makes a world of difference. That's just not practical for the room

I've tired them in my den (home theater) and get quite a different response. I believe in my case the better option may be to complement each with a good, and maybe more directional, sub. I just don't have as much flexibility in placement. It very well be that my expectations were off given the powerful internal sub and amp in each. Still trying to tweak placement but haven't really gotten a discernible distance. Had them out at about three feet from the back wall at one point. No doubt these really shine in the proper room. Soundstage and clarity is absolutely wonderful otherwise.

Danalex
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Thanks Art,

I'm coming to the same conclusion as you, though I'm a little surprised. As I noted in my response to Charlie, once I get close to the plane of the speakers the bass response becomes very very prominent. So I don't know what the acoustical term for that might be but it seems to get trapped at or just in front of the plane, whether the T1's are 1 foot from the wall or 3 feet. Currently they are about 8 feet apart and my listening position as at 8 feet from each in a triangle. I do believe the large cabinet at the center is the culprit. If it didn't weigh about 300 pounds, and sitting on a carpet, I would have tried to move it already. Looking into subs at the moment.

Danalex
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Danalex,

While you are experimenting, are you using low frequency tones for your tests? If you do not own a set of test tones for playback, you can find them on the web as free downloads. You may find them helpful as you continue to experiment, particularly if you are experiencing dropout at certain low frequencies.

Regarding employing a separate sub (or subs): If your room configuration permits, you might consider placing a sub in the middle space midway between your Ones. I realize this placement might not be possible due to your entertainment center.

What kinds of music do you listen to? Do you find the bass response to be different across various musical genre?

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton One Bass Response