file Triton One Bass Response

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago

charliehatch wrote: Hope this helps. Moderator Dude, please don't shoot me.

Seems like good technical data for understanding standing waves, why would I shoot you? Did I miss something? Did I get thrown under the bus and I missed it?? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 5 months ago
No bus, Glad you agree!
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• Danalex's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
Danalex Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hey Charlie,

Thanks for this data and glad to see you're still in good stead with Moderator!

This hearkens back to my HS physics classes and the subject of waves. It's really quite interesting and, in all these years, I've never considered, or even much noticed, these nodal points. So I had rough guessed 60% as my current LP but looking at this graphic I would be willing to bet I'm more like the 63% as the position is almost devoid of bass response.

And more to the Moderator's point, this clearly shows why the exact middle of a room may be the worst LP of all. Although maybe it's optimal for anyone looking solely for peaks in mid's and high's. I personally don't know of any such animal.

This weekend I plan on taking some real measurements of both room dimensions and using a mic and some of the open source software out there.

I'm really appreciative of the Moderator's comments as well which got me to thinking. As I envision that triangle that's been depicted so many times, I've always done it in the context of the speaker plane aligning to one wall. I'm not sure how it would look aesthetically but I may try to rotate the triangle in such a way as to offset it so that it doesn't line up as linearly is it currently does. If nothing else it may really drive home the importance of speaker placement. Of course the T1's don't lend themselves to quick repositioning here and there due to their size but I'm really eager to see what the result is.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again all for the feedback and lesson in chasing waves! (great title for a book on acoustics if it doesn't already exist. Copyright - Moderator...)

Best,
Danalex

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Charlie and Danalex,

Very interesting discussion. As I reported in my "News from Johnson City" thread, I am also finding interesting results as I compare listening experiences in our Raleigh home as compared to my Johnson City abode. I will update that thread again next week after I install my Ones into my Bonus Room in Raleigh.

Danalex, here is an off-the-wall idea. If you cannot find a way to even out the bass response and if you are still having noticeable differences between left and right, consider sending an LFE signal from your AV Receiver to the LFE input on the Triton One with the weaker bass response. Then, you can adjust the level of the Receiver's LFE output to even out the response.

Yes, I know that this approach is not recommended by GE and it does change the bass sound to some degree. But, this experiment might yield significant data which could help you decide what to do if you ultimately decide to add a sub.

I have become convinced that it is very useful to be able control the level of bass response because a number of things affect what you hear, such as types of music, and variations between recordings.

Happy experimenting,

Art

• Danalex's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
Danalex Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Art!

I believe it was your thread that got me going here so thanks for that. Love your idea but unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon how you look at it) my T1's are being used in my two-channel setup with preamp, amp, CD player - so no option for LFE or sound equalization (probably a bad word here?). I wouldn't think that switching the input to the LFE on the T1s would help, and more likely cut off some low frequency if anything. My amp does have outputs with cutoffs but for these bad boys I would expect to always go full range, no?

I'll be testing this weekend but short of tossing the furnishings in the room I'm thinking maybe an AVS sub or two, which are more directional, despite being low frequency. I think the passives on either side are contributing to the nodal issue I'm experiencing. My only concern at that point is having 4 powered sound units (T1's and subs) along with a 350 WPC RMs amp. That feels like a 25+ amp circuit to me.

Am I overthinking that or should i be concerned? Won't hold anyone to their opinion but curious what you guys think.

Danalex

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Danalex,

My Ones are used in a dedicated two-channel audio system as well. I stream music from a dedicated PC, using either MusicBee or MusiChi as the player and library manager. The vast majority of my music is in the form of Lossless FLAC files, along with a few MP3 and WAV files. I have over 26,000 music files stored in my dedicated "Music PC".

The PC streams via a USB connection to a Cambridge Audio DAC. The DAC sends two-channel audio to my Cambridge 851A two-channel stereo amplifier. The amp has both a fixed-level "Record Out" line output and a variable-level "Preamp Out" line output.

During my various experiments, I have employed both the fixed and variable outputs. I have connected both of these outputs directly to the LFE inputs on my Triton Ones (Left out to the Left Speaker LFE and Right Out to the Right Speaker LFE inputs). The Triton Ones have an excellent filter set and can handle the full-range input signal, sending only the low frequency portion to the Ones' bass amps.

Currently in my Johnson City home setup, I am employing an older Sony 5.1 AV Receiver in my setup. I have connected the Cambridge Stereo Amp Record Out to the "CD/SACD" input on the Sony unit. I have set the Sony unit for "Auto Decoding" and I have connected the LFE output of the Sony to a Paradigm Sub. This setup allows me to independently control the amount of low frequency signal present during playback. The Auto Decoding option on the Sony provides only Front and LFE signal outputs. Yes, I have only the sub connected to the Sony - no front speakers connected.

My Triton Ones will be transported to our Raleigh home next week. I plan to initially connect them using only speaker wires. I am employing a Cambridge AV Receiver in Raleigh. I will be connecting the Ones to that receiver, in place of the Sevens currently in play. I also have a Klipsch sub connected to the LFE outputs on the Cambridge Receiver. I will turn this sub off initially to hear what the Ones sound like without any bass augmentation. Future experiments will no doubt include adding the Klipsch back in and connecting the Sevens as "B Front " speakers.

Ultimately, when we have completed the move to Raleigh, I will drive my Ones with the Cambridge 2-channel amp. The Cambridge AV Receiver will be employed for separate AV duty with other speakers. I will connect the Klipsch sub to the AV system and the Paradigm sub to the audio system (using the Sony AV unit to separately control the bass level). I may also connect a bass signal source of some sort to the Ones' LFE inputs for separate bass level control there as well.

So, you can see that there are many possibilities for you to consider with regard to bass connections and control in your setup.

Best,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton One Bass Response