file Help! struggling with Triton 1s and Anthem MRX 520

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
KimchiHo Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by KimchiHo. info_outline
Hello fellow GE lovers,

I just got an Anthem MRX 520 to replace my NAD T775 that had crapped out, and the sound isn't as good w/ and w/o ARC, and I need help figuring out if I did something wrong, or if the NAD receiver was just better for music.

So, out of the box, without any ARC calibration, music I played wasn't as dynamic -- the bass was just anemic. I then hoped that ARC would correct a lot. This is how I did ARC:

- 5 seating positions
- Set sub level to 9:00 (yes, very low, but the ARC software kept telling me to lower the bass level until I reached 9:00...I started at 12:00)
- Left ARC settings for crossovers and levels, except for the Front L/R Triton 1s to Flat
- Max EQ at 500 Hz
- After ARC, I raised the sub level to 2:00

After successfully uploading to the receiver, I setup two inputs that were identical, except one w/ and one w/o ARC applied. When doing A/B tests, A (original) actually sounded better than B (ARC applied)...B got meaningfully quieter such that when switching to A made it seem as if some veil had been lifted. Would've expected the opposite based on everything I read.

So, now I am quite concerned as I'm not sure if I did something wrong. So, a few questions for folks out there who might have experience with a similar setup:

1) Is the MRX 520 known to not have "good" bass?
2) Does applying ARC have a seemingly lower volume effect?
3) Is it possible that the NAD T775 is just a better musical receiver? It was $3500 retail many years back, and the MRX 520 is only $1400 -- perhaps the 720 or 1120 actually sound better?
4) Is there anything I should try differently with ARC?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

- KimchiHo
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Sounds like a setup issue, the Anthem receivers all sound great.

Is this a stereo setup? If so, just tell the receiver's speaker menu you have NO speakers other than the Fronts (no surrounds, rears, subs), that should automatically force a full range signal to the speakers. Connect speaker wire only. Turn off ARC and all other audio processing (most are ON by default). Set the bass level control on your speakers to noon. Play some of your favorite CD's, and play with room positioning and bass level setting for your room and taste. When done and thrilled with the sound, run ARC with your 500Hz max setting - leave the rest as default (I believe Flat is the wrong setting on ARC).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
KimchiHo Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Thank you Moderator!

So, i have a 5.1 setup with the T1s up front, XXL in the center, and two POSs in the rear. Interesting that I should not set to flat — it was what I read here from well regarded folks like T Cobe. Should i instead set to full range but with the default 80hz cutoff?

Struggling with the varying info out. Thanks!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Fronts must be set to full range, no crossover. If running LFE cables, set sub to yes and 120hz LFE crossover. Center should be small at 80 hz.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Help! struggling with Triton 1s and Anthem MRX 520