file Triton 2 - Amplification

• Buckchester's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Buckchester Posted 6 years 1 month ago
I would like to know at what point would an amplifier of, say, more than 100w/ch be recommended for a pair of Triton 2s.

I own a pair os T2s. I power them with a Marantz SR5005 (100w/ch) in a room approximately 3,000cf and I sit about 8-9 feet from the speakers. My receiver is usually set anywhere between -20db and -10db and the dBs at the main listening position tend to range between 85-95db (peaks maybe closer to 100db, but I'd have to test this more). I also have two large 15 inch ported subs.

The system sounds very good, loud and dynamic to my ears. Given all this, coupled with the fact that the T2s are rated at 91db sensitivity, it seems to me an external amp would only be required if I want to significantly increase my volume levels.

What would Golden Ear say?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hi Buckchester, Congrats on having the T 2s, wonderful speakers, I love mine.
Good questions but no one can answer for you, what you would like and enjoy.
Higher powered amps can give you more volume, but that is not usually the point. They can sometimes give higher quality as well; more dynamic headroom (can play louder more effortlessly and respond to transient peak volumes more quickly, etc.).
I can tell you that the T 2s seem to love power, and they reward high quality upstream components because they easily discern between good, better and best.
I hope this helps, but most likely you will need to audition and hear for yourself.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Given GE's speaker efficiency, high wattage amplification just isn't necessary. I use an McIntosh mc152 (150 watts) and the TRefs. At ear splitting levels, i don't think I've ever used more than 20 watts. You never use as many watts as you think you do.

The moral of the story...you said you are happy with the sound you now have. Keep what you have and put your money elsewhere.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Well, you've said you like your system now. Stepping up in power will buy you a little better dynamics when listening fairly loud but it does not seem like you need that.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by anthem. info_outline
And then there's the "on the other hand" scenario. If you're like me and just want some new gear once in a while, check out the PS Audio M700 Mono Power Amps. I betcha these babies would make your T2's sing.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Buckchester

You've seen the gamut of great advice. I guess my input would be that no one but you can make that decision. Are you looking for just a little more dynamics, a little more richness, SQ of some nature?

I guess I am, like Anthem, in the "Is there a little more to be had" group. :)

BUT, looking for more is a journey with lots of stops and pitfalls, and $$$ costs.

Yes, better external amps can give a boost to dynamics and even SQ (I love my ATi amp). It's not about watts, your 100 watts per channel is more than enough for your speakers in terms of power. It's about SQ.

IF you think you may want to try an external amp, go for it. But if you are happy with what you have, then be aware that there's no end to the hunt for "better".:)

Enjoy your already great system!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 2 - Amplification