file Placement and back wall

• lassus's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
lassus Posted 12 years 10 months ago
After a great audition and many positive reviews I pulled the trigger on a pair of GoldenEar Tritons and am gradually breaking them in. They're wonderful and such a big step above what I had previously (Castle Severn).

I'm a bit constrained on room placement and I can't move them farther than about five inches from the back wall (my sitting position is about 9.5 feet from each tower, and I have a wall directly behind the couch). I've noticed that the bass can be a bit muddy and "boomy" and I feel like it's covering up the mids to some extent. I'm wondering if anyone might have some tips. I have toed the speakers in a bit, but should I turn the dials down on the subs as far as possible?

If it makes any difference I am driving them with a NAD T747 AVR.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 10 months ago
Thanks for your purchase, I'm glad you're enjoying them. The bass will continue to change as the speaker breaks-in, so you may want to wait a bit before changing things.

You are probably sitting in a node, if you can get the listening position a bit away from the back wall that would probably help tremendously. Trying to keep them out of the corner a bit can also help. Lastly, a room correction system would probably fix the serious peaks your room is generating.

But... that's what the bass volume control on the Triton is there for - tune to room and taste. So by all means, just turn the bass down a bit (make sure all the tone controls, EQ, etc. on your receiver are turned off, or are set to flat, of course).

Hope this helps.

• lassus's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
lassus Posted 12 years 10 months ago
Thanks, that helps. I may try to let the NAD receiver "listen" to the room and make its automatic adjustments and see if there are any changes there. If the sub dials are turned *all* of the way down, does that effectively turn off the subs?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 10 months ago
Not completely - but close... that would be very rolled off in the bass frequencies. Play some bass heavy music and turn the dial - you should clearly hear the effects and level change.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Placement and back wall