file Question re Triton 1 power amp / DSP algorithm

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 9 years 1 month ago

chcmuzza wrote: Thanks for the input team. Your responses line up with my expectations however it would be nice for GE to confirm.

Simply digitising the signal below 100Hz and re-amplifying shouldn't be considered a massive secret, perhaps even a marketing benefit given the overall performance of the T1's, however a lack of any formal response might suggest something different.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

We're aren't big on conspiracy theories here (nor particularly fond of the way your comment was framed). Perhaps you are on the wrong forum? There are many that encourage antagonizing posts.

In answer to your question, there is no secret, just secret sauce. The signal from the speaker level inputs and the LFE-in are run through a high-end A to D, are then processed using a 56 bit DSP (in the Triton One) for phase and frequency shaping to integrate with the passive midrange/tweeter section of the speaker. Of course, NONE of this matters. All that matters is how the speakers sound. Everything else regarding internal technology is just irrelevant "noise".
The following user(s) said Thank You: chcmuzza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Moderator,

I certainly share your disdain for forum trolls and this forum does a good job at keeping them away or in check. That said, I'm not sure chcmuzza meant anything derogatory with his comments. Based on his previous positive praise of his new T1s, I think he is just another enthusiastic and curious owner that wants a glimpse behind the curtain. You can't blame us for being a little curious how the magic happens.

I can also appreciate your "noise" comment. I read a lot of professional reviews and posts. People do get caught up on the most mundane details and the results can be very negative and likely detrimental to business. I don't understand how reviewers can care about a slight shift in dB levels or impedance at various frequencies during one review and then gush about a $3,000 power cable that is absolutely unquantifiable the next. There is a lot of negativity in the audio press and forums.

I appreciate the art and engineering that goes into the GET speakers. I am confident that a significant amount of engineering goes into your products and I doubt the people designing them rely solely on an art appreciation or music theory degree. Not that there is anything wrong with those degrees... :) Based on the interviews I've seen and read with Mr. Gross and hearing about your facilities and the amount of R&D that goes into your products, I would argue that the details do matter and you folks have it down!

One could certainly argue that the only thing that matters to us consumers is the sound, but again, it's hard not to want a glimpse behind the curtain. As an enthusiastic owner myself, I am constantly recommending GET to people when the topic presents itself. It's good to be able to communicate verbally what makes the GET speakers stand out from the crowd. Specifications and data matter. Take automobiles as another example. Owners love to brag about horsepower, 0-60, quarter mile, 50/50 weight distribution, etc. it's in our nature.

This forum is a great place to learn and share. As you've said, there are many other forums where negativity reigns supreme and for that reason, I won't post there. Thank you for continuing to support the group with you technical expertise and patience for our barrage of questions and speculation.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, chcmuzza

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hi All,

Thanks to T. Cobe for his "defense" of chcmuzza's comments. I concur with T. Cobe - I don't think that chcmuzza intended for his comments to come off as critical of GE. He is, after all, an enthusiastic Triton One owner.

But, I also respect the Moderator's reaction - he is reinforcing the positive nature of this forum, with which I agree. There is so much subjectivity in one's views regarding audio equipment and sound reproduction, that it is important to maintain a positive approach to forum comments in order to keep the dialogue rolling and to prevent degeneration into "my setup is the best and only way".

My thought on specs and other technical data: I made the decision to buy Triton Ones (and my other GE speakers as well) initially upon looking at specs, but overwhelmingly based upon listening to them. I enjoy reading about how other folks have configured their systems, but essentially, I have made my own configuration decisions based upon my preferences and my available gear. I presume that other folks have followed a similar path in their quest for audio excellence.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe, chcmuzza

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Art,

I certainly respect the Moderators perspective as well. Hopefully my comments weren't perceived otherwise. I also decided on the T1s after an audition but had narrowed my speaker search down with tech data, professional reviews, and user feedback here on the forum. Try as I may, I couldn't get the T1s out of my head after auditioning them... $5,000, while a tremendous value for what you get, was more than I initially wanted to spend. To paraphrase a cheesy movie line: they had me at hello.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Splash51, chcmuzza

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I agree with ALL the comments I've read here. I bought the T1's.. and the T2's.. and the SCXL.. and the INVISA 525's on how they SOUND. BUT our collective curiosity (which leads us to keep coming back to this forum), does lead us to want to understand HOW the speakers do the amazing things they do. And I will soon audition the SCXXL based on how it SOUNDS and think about HOW it can make those gorgeous sounds later.

Forgive us, Moderator Dude, if sometimes we appear too inquisitive about technical features, but it is our collective nature (I still don't quite understand how an amp/receiver, not knowing that a powered Triton tower will amp the bass signal it's receiving on it's own, won't overamp the bass feed in it's mistaken "belief" that it has to supply ALL the power to that bass portion). I completely understand GEt not sharing proprietary stuff, but sharing experiences about our GEt speakers, and audio feed "stuff" that enhances them, and trying to understand how it all works together is what keeps us coming back to this great forum, with great members and a great moderator.

So, thanks, Moderator Dude, for babysitting us occasionally, and letting us hash it out most of the time, and thank you fellow forum members for being so helpful and willing to share experiences and opinions without judgement!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, chcmuzza

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline
With apologies if I was too direct, and all due respect to GoldenEar owner and fan chcmuzza, just don't pose questions in the "what are you hiding from us, and why?" framework and your comment and questions will always be welcome here.

And I understand and agree with all your well made points Art and T Cobe - especially the car reference, I'm a BIG car guy too. The interesting thing is that horsepower and weight distribution and weight rations all have very relevant outcomes in the actual car. I really wish we were there with high performance audio, it would make things so much easier. Instead we have a bunch of specs that don't matter, and no standards so specs can be anything. Its a bad scene. But what's really great, is when the stuff is really good (the Triton Ones, hello) it breaks itself apart from the pack for us. My favorite science in loudspeakers is the fact that people can actually hear the difference (not everybody cares, but everybody hears). Kind of like cars, everyone can tell when they are driving a supercar, but many don't care.

The design team of Sandy and Bob Johnston have achieved marvelous results in their art and science of loudspeaker design and engineering. They've been at it (as a passion) all their lives and it shows. It can't really be measured or summed up in a series of specs, but its certainty there, as we all know. Regarding the science, I have tried hard to answer, or get answers, for every technical question ever posted. If it requires an answer from engineering, I get what I can (and can understand - some of this stuff is just WAY out there). No one is hiding anything (other than the stuff they hide from me). :)

Thanks to everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe, chcmuzza

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Question re Triton 1 power amp / DSP algorithm