file Question re Triton 1 power amp / DSP algorithm

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Forgive us, Moderator Dude, if sometimes we appear too inquisitive about technical features, but it is our collective nature (I still don't quite understand how an amp/receiver, not knowing that a powered Triton tower will amp the bass signal it's receiving on it's own, won't overamp the bass feed in it's mistaken "belief" that it has to supply ALL the power to that bass portion). I completely understand GEt not sharing proprietary stuff, but sharing experiences about our GEt speakers, and audio feed "stuff" that enhances them, and trying to understand how it all works together is what keeps us coming back to this great forum, with great members and a great moderator.

Rick

Rick makes an interesting point in his post, a portion of which is quoted above, when he asks about the connection between what the amplifier is doing and what the Triton's LFE section is doing. I would presume that all recent-technology receivers or amplifiers which have a "sub woofer pre out", would expect that pre out signal to be connected to a powered sub woofer. Thus, I would expect that signal to be essentially a "line-level" signal, but also a signal whose level is affected by the receiver or amplifier volume control.

From my experience with my Onkyo NR 3009 AV Receiver, I can attest to the fact that there can be more than one use for the sub woofer pre out connection. Depending upon settings, my Onkyo can send an LFE signal or an "analog bass" signal to the sub woofer pre out. I'm sure that other AV receivers have similar capabilities. I am not familiar with what options might exist within dedicated amplifiers.

The point is: The audio chain contains several components, the last one of which is the speaker. With multiple and varying capabilities, many setup options become available which likely will offer very different audio experiences. So, how a given set of devices play together would seem to be the only way to judge results - not to mention the other factors such as room dynamics, personal preferences, hearing acuity, etc.

I have experimented with a number of setup options with my gear and I may find more to try in the future. I am confident that most of us do the same thing and we are all chasing the elusive and probably unattainable "perfect sound". I doubt that I would recognize perfect sound if I actually achieved it.

For me , the fun is in the chase and I enjoy reading about what all of you are doing in your own pursuits. Perhaps we are all a bit like Don Quixote as we continue our quests.

I'll sign off for now - methinks I spy a windmill over yonder.

Happy trails,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

ArthurDaniels wrote:

rjohn79395 wrote: Forgive us, Moderator Dude, if sometimes we appear too inquisitive about technical features, but it is our collective nature (I still don't quite understand how an amp/receiver, not knowing that a powered Triton tower will amp the bass signal it's receiving on it's own, won't overamp the bass feed in it's mistaken "belief" that it has to supply ALL the power to that bass portion). I completely understand GEt not sharing proprietary stuff, but sharing experiences about our GEt speakers, and audio feed "stuff" that enhances them, and trying to understand how it all works together is what keeps us coming back to this great forum, with great members and a great moderator.

Rick

Rick makes an interesting point in his post, a portion of which is quoted above, when he asks about the connection between what the amplifier is doing and what the Triton's LFE section is doing. I would presume that all recent-technology receivers or amplifiers which have a "sub woofer pre out", would expect that pre out signal to be connected to a powered sub woofer. Thus, I would expect that signal to be essentially a "line-level" signal, but also a signal whose level is affected by the receiver or amplifier volume control.

From my experience with my Onkyo NR 3009 AV Receiver, I can attest to the fact that there can be more than one use for the sub woofer pre out connection. Depending upon settings, my Onkyo can send an LFE signal or an "analog bass" signal to the sub woofer pre out. I'm sure that other AV receivers have similar capabilities. I am not familiar with what options might exist within dedicated amplifiers.

The point is: The audio chain contains several components, the last one of which is the speaker. With multiple and varying capabilities, many setup options become available which likely will offer very different audio experiences. So, how a given set of devices play together would seem to be the only way to judge results - not to mention the other factors such as room dynamics, personal preferences, hearing acuity, etc.

I have experimented with a number of setup options with my gear and I may find more to try in the future. I am confident that most of us do the same thing and we are all chasing the elusive and probably unattainable "perfect sound". I doubt that I would recognize perfect sound if I actually achieved it.

For me , the fun is in the chase and I enjoy reading about what all of you are doing in your own pursuits. Perhaps we are all a bit like Don Quixote as we continue our quests.

I'll sign off for now - methinks I spy a windmill over yonder.

Happy trails,

Art

Hi, Art

Yes, experimenting is fun... Re my quote, I agree that a sub pre-out LFE signal to a Triton powered tower should be pretty straightforward...I.E. pre-out to the tower's sub with the sub doing all the amping. I still wonder about the bass portion of the amped full range signal sent to a Triton powered tower set as LARGE through the speaker cable, no LFE involved or maybe even connected, where the receiver/amp doesn't know that the bass portion will be directed via the tower's DSP and crossover to a powered sub and not a passive LARGE speaker. I.E.how does the receiver/amp know to "let off the gas" on that bass portion of the signal and treat it more like an unamped pre-out signal (or conversely, how much additional amping does the powered sub in the Triton tower give an already amped signal). I noted in the attachment T Cobe provided re the Triton 1 review, that the reviewer noted that the impedance on the 100HZ and under portion of the signal was up considerably vs. the rest of the signal (I presume no LFE involved), so somehow the additional amping done by the Triton 1 shifted a (large?) portion of the 100 HZ and under heavy lifting load off the receiver/amp feeding the signal, and to the Tritons...some kind of impedance dance between receiver/amp and Triton amp, I guess. Whatever, it sure works seamlessly. I just wonder sometimes how much variability there is in how different receivers do that dance. (In a world of perfect receivers sending out perfect signals, where there was no signal roll-off, bass, LFE or otherwise, from receivers/amps, would we all be back to the original set-up recommendations of LARGE, no LFE connection for powered Tritons, even for 5.1 or 7.1 surround?)

As you say, Art, we have the opportunity to learn how our particular assortment of audio gear and speakers works together, and make choices on how to use our systems to maximize our listening pleasure, in our unique rooms, to our unique listening preferences. I don't know what perfect sound is either. I just know when I like what I hear.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hi Rick,

Good questions, all.

If a given system (player, amp, speaker) were perfectly flat across the entire audio spectrum, I wonder how we would perceive the resultant sound? Consider room dynamics and, most importantly of all, our individual hearing acuity.

Rick, you and I are "of a certain age", so we can both remember the early days of high fidelity when a 15 watt mono amplifier and a big speaker in a cabinet were both prized possessions. In those early days, we continually sought deeper and stronger bass, usually without much success. Now, we live in a bass-rich audio world, so we seek to fulfill other audio perfection aspirations.

I am smugly pleased to be able to set my Triton Ones LFE gain control to Minimum and enjoy sufficient bass in my system. Just knowing that I have all that reserve available provides the comfort of a warm bass blanket. Resting comfortably under that blanket, I now enjoy discovering the newly-revealed musical details offered by my Ones as I peruse my CD collection.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 1 month ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hi Rick,

Good questions, all.

If a given system (player, amp, speaker) were perfectly flat across the entire audio spectrum, I wonder how we would perceive the resultant sound? Consider room dynamics and, most importantly of all, our individual hearing acuity.

Rick, you and I are "of a certain age", so we can both remember the early days of high fidelity when a 15 watt mono amplifier and a big speaker in a cabinet were both prized possessions. In those early days, we continually sought deeper and stronger bass, usually without much success. Now, we live in a bass-rich audio world, so we seek to fulfill other audio perfection aspirations.

I am smugly pleased to be able to set my Triton Ones LFE gain control to Minimum and enjoy sufficient bass in my system. Just knowing that I have all that reserve available provides the comfort of a warm bass blanket. Resting comfortably under that blanket, I now enjoy discovering the newly-revealed musical details offered by my Ones as I peruse my CD collection.

Best,

Art

I'm with you, Art. In a world of non perfect room accoustics, non perfect audio gear, non perfect hearing, and varying listening tastes, having the LFE connection is a great security blanket and let's us have more control on how we set up and listen to the system. Whatever my curiosity about how receiver amps and Triton amps work together via speaker cables, I wouldn't go back and disconnect the LFE feeds. I've heard what LFE can do.

Keep on experimenting, and enjoying your CD's!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 1 month ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: I would presume that all recent-technology receivers or amplifiers which have a "sub woofer pre out", would expect that pre out signal to be connected to a powered sub woofer. Thus, I would expect that signal to be essentially a "line-level" signal, but also a signal whose level is affected by the receiver or amplifier volume control.

Correct (and thanks for the Don Quixote reference), although not usually called a pre-out, to prevent confusion, typically just called sub-out. The sub-in is no different on a Triton than it is on any outboard powered subwoofer. One can accurately say that there is no technical difference between a passive full-range speaker + outboard subs and a pair of powered Tritons. The experiments and choices forum members have been talking about are no different than those they would be making with a non-powered full range speaker (make sure your wallet is wide open to get any of those) and a pair of serious powered subwoofers.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 1 month ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: If a given system (player, amp, speaker) were perfectly flat across the entire audio spectrum, I wonder how we would perceive the resultant sound? Consider room dynamics and, most importantly of all, our individual hearing acuity.

Electronics and source devices should be perfectly "flat". Speakers need to produce, in-room, the correct "target response", which is not actually flat.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Question re Triton 1 power amp / DSP algorithm