file Why should i buy the Triton 2 speakers VS DT stuff

• bobt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bobt Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Well.. that is interesting. Did not think of that. I'm sure there are recommended speaker positions, like they should be 2 feet from the back wall, whatever for the GE 2's.

The Polk SDA's you never tow- in, that will mess up the SDA "effect" The RTi 12's I have, yes you can tow them in, but since I sit so far back in the room, these is no need to do that.
I set both Polk speakers about 1 foot off the back wall. The SDA's I keep maybe close to 2 feet off the sidewall.. maybe. Probably 1 1/2 feet is more like it. So they have an easy 3 feet on one side, and 1 1/2 on the other. But does not seem to bother them.
The RTi12's are even less, at maybe 1 foot of the sidewall. But since I sit 14 feet or so back in the room.. no need to tow them in. They fill the room with sound. no real reason to tow them in, at that distance. they work fine.

I don't know if the spacing between the speakers is the killer or not for the GE stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Are you wanting a "just fill the room with sound" setup or do you want a unique listening experience? If you're gonna sit 14 feet back, the speakers need 14 foot spacing and toed in. Pull the speakers out into the room or move your listening position up.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Again, this brings up another problem. Since I have been listening to SDA speakers... there is no toe- in.. no nothing, the farther back you sit.. the better the sound. You can ask Sandy about that, he should know.

If I have to always toe -in the speakers, that would seem to throw the bass in different directions. If the speakers are placed about 7-8 feet apart, firing strait ahead, with the width of the room, and i'm sitting about 14 or so feet back, I should be sitting almost in the right spot. Unless the speakers are really directional. I don't know.....

If these are speakers you need to sit 6 feet in front of, and toe'd in to get the sound.. then not so interested....

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thought I'd chime in here to try and help:

1) Wayne is correct about using the bass section's gain control to balance the different boundary gains of the two speakers caused by having different wall distances.

2) They do not HAVE to be two feet away from the rear wall, if closer you can adjust bass accordingly for good room balance.

3) The advantage of wide spacing and toe-in is two fold: a) It gives your brain the opportunity to hear two distinct sound sources (this should ring bells for all you SDA'ers), and b) Toe-in gives more good listening seats/better sound for off-center listeners.

4) These placement properties are not unique to the Tritons, they are the same for all traditional mono-pole speakers. Because of the Tritons amazing horizontal dispersion, they CAN be separated more than most speakers and the result is reproduction of a very large and gorgeous soundfield (where other speakers might leave a "hole in the middle"). The ideal setup has the distance between the speakers about the same as the distance to the primary listening position, but not every room allows for ideal, and they still will sound great.

5) The side of the towers have passive radiators, not active drivers, and only reproduce the lowest frequencies. There are no special side wall interactions to consider.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

OK... so what your telling me is the side drivers.... not some much to be concerned about. So if 1 speaker is 2 feet off the sidewall, and the other is 3+ feet... not killing you.

IF there 7-8 feet apart speaker wise.. IF I Don't toe them in... is that a problem? If I sit 14 feet back and fire them strait ahead, I will not get the same deal, considering the room is about 13+ feet wide??? If they need to be 2feet out in the room.. then I need to know that. The Polks only sat 1 foot off the back wall....

Let me put this as blunt as I can be... I can't "hear" these speakers in person. Nor the DT stuff. I have to get somebody to send me these speakers as a trial deal.... Pretty much they work in my music room or don't.

Now on the DT stuff.. I can get some online guy to send me the speakers, I get 30 days to try them out, if I don't like them,,, I can send them back and get all of my money back, minus the shipping.

Now with the GE stuff.. I have to find a brick and mortar store, that may have these...then ask them to send them to me, and if I don't like them, they have to take them back.... plus not charge me massive amounts of money to do that.
Not sure any brick and mortar store will do that.....

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Why should i buy the Triton 2 speakers VS DT stuff