file Why should i buy the Triton 2 speakers VS DT stuff

• bobt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bobt Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I am looking for new speakers. Let me state first and for most these are Music ONLY speakers, period.
Now let me state the equipment. Adcom pre, Onkyo Integra M-5 power amp, Jolidia tube Cd player. My music room is 14X 30 and I sit about 14 feet back in the room. So with that said, lets move on.

The Speakers these will be replacing is a set of old 1987 Polk SDA 1C's. There just not fixable anymore, or the cost is extreme.
I did pick up a pair of Polk RTi 12's which is the 9"s with out the wood sides. Not completely bad, but really geared for HT work. They will give you bass, the mid's are passable, but the treble is too bright for a lot of stuff. Not what I would call a "warm" speaker...LOL

My first choice would be the DT 8080ST. The "bi-polar" may give you something of the "SDA" effect.. Maybe, but should give you a wide soundstage. The reviews are very good on this, in fact better then the Mythos speakers, (which the Triton is loosely based on) The 8080 digs deeper, just has better bass, probably due to the 12" driver. Now is the Triton 2 better.. I don't know. I can't hear either of these speakers, I have to off reviews and have the speaker shipped to me.
These will be played loud. The do sit in a large room. I also sit 14 feet back, there is no nearfield stuff going on here.

My music goes from Classic rock, to the 1812. Again this is not played soft at all. Can anybody tell me if the Triton 2 will match the DT8080 for bass, or anything else.
Thanks..
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Sandy didn't start a new speaker company to do stuff almost as good as he did before. The Tritons are an evolutionary step beyond anything before them and, to quote a reviewer, simply embalm the competition. Beyond that, I'm sure others in the forum will comment, but you really need to go hear them to decide what's right for your needs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Polk SDA series...great line of speakers. I still have their SDA-CRS bookshelf speakers. Phenomenal to say the least, outdone by my Goldenear Aon 3's which are my favorite bookshelf speaker.

I have the GE T2's and a pair of DT 2006's, so I'm somewhat familiar with both lines, although I've not heard the DT bp-8080. What I think holds true is a review by Andrew Robinson in which he states, "the Triton Two has a folded ribbon tweeter which is capable of producing a decidedly higher-end sound than the BP-8080ST'S aluminum dome tweeter. Furthermore, the T2's are more compact and more elegantly designed (wife friendly) yet still capable of similar SPL output". I've had my T2's playing at 100 -105 db...literally pressurized the room.

In order to sound their best, the BP-8080ST's need to be placed a fair distance from the front wall, meaning they may intrude further into your living space than non bi-polar loudspeakers. I think the 8080 would be awesome in a HT setup, but for 2-channel, the GE T2's with their HFVR Ribbon Tweeter would out shine the 8080's. If music is your thing...Goldenear T2's or better yet the Famous T1's (now we're talking! )
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi Bobt,
Thanks for joining us here and asking these good questions.
I am sure you expected forum members here to recommend the Triton 2s. I will do that as well. Bro Anthem is likely spot on recommending the Triton Ones, he usually is right, but I don't know those speakers.
I have run Maggies and Apogee Stages for years and years, am a dipolar fan from way back. But the Tritons have changed all that.
The T 2s are MUCH more dynamic and coherent than my bipolars ever were. And if you are looking for a speaker that LIKES to play loud, the T 2s LOVE to play loud!!!! The louder the better has been my experience. Well, I have never been able to play them in my room more loudly than they like.
I have the Jolida JD 100A tubed CD player, maybe the same as yours.
So we might like the same sort of sound.
I hope this helps, and I hope you find exactly what you really like. This is fun after all, enjoy the tunes,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• bobt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
bobt Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Bi-polar DT's to "maybe" give me some what of the sound stage as the SDA's which may not happen. The other problem I just thought about... With either of these speakers is my room.
It is about 13 1/2 feet wide by 28 feet long. BUT, there is a door to get into the room, which kills an easy 3 feet on one side of the room.
IF these speakers have to equal distance apart, from the side walls, due to the side firing passive radiators. Then they may be only 6 feet apart. Which may not work so well.... I don't have this problem with either of the polks I have right now as there is no side firing anything. I do sit about 14 feet back in the room, but in the center of were they are placed. They are NOT towed in. They fire strait ahead.

I don't know what the placement specs are for the GE's are, and if you mess with them, then you could loose a lot of the sound?

Anybody have to deal with this, or know if there not perfectly, equal-distant from the side walls, that your sound stage may be screwed up??

Thanks for any info....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi Bobt,
Good questions.
You will not have any big problem if you put the speakers a bit from the wall on one side and 3 feet from the wall on the other side, because you can just turn up the side firing woofer in the speaker that is further from the wall, and find a good balance point.
OR you can move the speakers, depending on your room, and perhaps your wife, to the long wall and get them well away from side walls (slightly preferred) and sit much closer, toe them in and have more of an equilateral triangle which is recommended.
I would definitely sit closer and toe them in some, if I were you.
Just some suggestions/thoughts, it is not rocket science, you can play with bass settings, location (and your location) and try toeing in/out, until you get the sound like you want it.
It is fun getting these speakers dialed in and they will reward you with wonderful sound and imaging!!!!
Have fun, enjoy the search and music,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Why should i buy the Triton 2 speakers VS DT stuff