file Why should i buy the Triton 2 speakers VS DT stuff

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Check this out...this is a fantastic presentation of the Triton Two.GoldenEar's Sandy Gross: Speaker Technology & Philosophy (Part 3 of 4):
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bobt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
bobt Posted 9 years 7 months ago
OK that's fine an dandy... IF you ask Sandy what SDA speakers sound like, and if the Triton 2 speakers can come close, in the room that I have.. then were talking. He knows what the SDA speakers sound like. if he wants to put his two sense in this.. that's fine.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My listening room is roughly 23 x 13, speakers on the short wall. I own the Polk Audio SDA-CRS, Def Tech 2006, and the GE Triton 2's. The SDA-CRS worked best 80 in. out into the room (front wall to front of speaker) and spaced about 7 feet apart, aimed straight ahead and seating position 9-10 ft. The DT 2006, 80 in. from front wall to front of speaker, 7-8 ft. apart, slightly toed, seating position 9-10 ft. GE T2's, 80 in. from front wall, 10 ft. apart, toed, listening position 9-10 feet. All of these speakers have their strengths and weaknesses.Weaknesses...SDA-CRS, the ability to tailor the bass. The DT 2006, the aluminum tweeter and the lack of smoothness. The GE T2's, further spacing than the Polk's and DT's. If you are dead set with your listening position being 14 ft. from your speakers and a 7-8 ft. spacing between them..the DT 8080 may be what you are looking for. If a supreme top-end and bass to die for are what you're after, the Goldenear Triton 2's are for you (only outdone by their big brother, The Triton 1's)...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• bobt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
bobt Posted 9 years 7 months ago
That's interesting info. The SDA CRS is a nice speaker but of course lacking bass, as compared to my 1C's. You state the GE 2's need 10 feet apart. That's a killer right there. I don't have that space. This would depend on how you are measuring things. I place the Polks at 1 foot off the back wall, but that's measuring from the back of the cab. The SDA's don't need to be that far apart.
I can only put these maybe 7 1/2 feet apart since they have to be at least 2 feet from the sidewall. The14 foot listen position is not the end all. Just happens to be were the Polks work.. both sets of Polks. Dose not mean I can't move that. But if the GE's need the 10 feet apart, then that's a killer.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The spacing of 10 ft. regarding the T2's is what sounds best in MY listening room...you need to get your mind off the Polk's, the T2's are different in many ways. You can space the T2's 7 1/2 ft. apart, but your imaging will suffer if you sit back 14 ft. Are you wanting speakers to just blast out loud tunes or do you want speakers that literally disappear and have a special intimacy with each amplifer it comes in contact with? To make a long story short, if you space the T2's seven & one half ft. apart and your listening position is at 14 ft you'll lose the specialness the T2's offer. The T2's spaced 7-8 ft apart need a listening position of 7 -8 ft (possibly 9) to sound their best.

The SDA-CRS does not lack in bass, at least not to my ears. It's the lack of a built-in sub with a volume level to control the bass output that I was referring to.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 7 months ago
bobt,

A quick search of Polk's and Definitive Technology's website show that their recommendations for speaker placement are the same as GoldenEar Technology: an equilateral triangle. In my research, the recommended listening distance is roughly 1 to 1.5 times the distance between the speakers. I have not seen any recommendations for 2 times the distance (7 feet apart for speaker placement and listening at 14 feet). These of course are just guidelines and many variables come into play. Most importantly, room acoustics and listening preferences will ultimately guide you on where to place whatever speakers you purchase.

I've listened to both the Triton 2 and Triton 1 at about 7 to 8 feet apart and they sounded fantastic. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle on any general recommendations. As has been stated many times in this forum, buy the best speaker your budget allows and enjoy. IMHO, the biggest limitations of the Triton towers are the media/source and the associated equipment. It sounds like you already have some great equipment to pair up with what ever speakers you choose.

I compared GE to Def Tech and found that the Tritons and Aons just sounded better to me. Again, my opinion, but the 8080s weren't even a close competitor. The only product that I demoed that came close was the ST-L SuperTower and even then, I preferred the treble and bass of the GoldenEars. The bass was tighter and the treble more airy and open without being fatiguing.

It really is too bad you can't take the Pepsi challenge for yourself before purchasing. Asking for subjective feedback in this forum is sure to yield lopsided results. I suppose you could take comfort in all the satisfied customers' feedback and professional reviews... If your asking for opinions here, go with the Triton One! What ever you decide, good luck. I hope your next speakers last as long as your Polk SDA 1Cs lasted!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Why should i buy the Triton 2 speakers VS DT stuff