file Triton 1 with Emotiva XPA 5

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 9 years 9 months ago

anthem wrote: Finally, glad to hear a forum member with an understanding wife, especially one that doesn't rule with an iron fist. Does she bake?

Haha nice one Anthem. My wife is awesome. Yes she does bake. Cooks very well too. I am lucky

So Moderator if I understand you correctly then yes the exact Parametric EQ settings I have on the Yamaha will be amplified to XPA5 if I get one? Could you confirm that with a simple yes if that's true.

Nowhere892 so you are saying for you the XPA 5 made no difference in sound on the Marantz preouts at all? If it helps at all the Yamaha I have makes a huge difference in sound when I set the Parametric EQ settings. Way more than "bypass" mode or when YPAO (Yamahas Audyssey system) did the automatic sound tuning. I tuned it by ear and am happy with the sound I have thats why I am looking for the XPA5 to have amplified sound, more headroom and maybe better sound sonically as what I have heard form other members here have reported. Did you have the Gen 1 or gen 2 Xpa5? My issue is I cant return the XPA5 because I am in Australia and the return shipping is too much.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hey Steveo,
You are a blessed man indeed!!!! Better try and hold on to her!!!!
I will NOT give you advice in that area.
Indeed, it is tough giving you advice as for the life of me it comes out sounding like I am bashing your receiver. And I don't want to do that.
Let me just address some of your questions, although others have done so better than I can. But I am closer so maybe I can help, ha ha.
MOST folks who have GREAT speakers like you have drive them, play through them on equipment that is WAY more expensive than your receiver. There is a law of diminishing returns on how great equipment is when you spend more money. But I think it is rather easy for us to say, it is your Yamaha. But remember, we are only doing this because you express dissatisfaction with your music straight up through it. (I am glad you can tinker with the EQ and get what you want--the Stones said you can't always do that!!!!)
IF you add a new amp, it SHOULD sound better than the built in amp in your Yamaha. AND it WILL surely pass along (using your Yamaha as a pre-amp) whatever signal you send it, be that straight up or EQed to heck. The amp will just make that signal louder.
Will that solve your problem, probably not. I am guessing that the pre-amp part of your Yamaha is not all that great either (sorry, but just not in the league of your Triton Ones, can I say that?).
Seems you and Nowhere892 share that predicament. Or at least that people judge your equipment as not good enough.
It MAY BE that you guys just like your sound tilted a certain way, and do NOT LIKE what was recorded flat(ish) onto the disc. And IF that is the case, there is nothing wrong with that. EQ it and love it. Enjoy!!!!
I am investigating Emotiva's XMC-1 as a processor for better surround sound and music. Have you looked into something like that, with the amp it might be great for you, in a cost-effective way.
Just some thoughts, and here's hoping you get the sound just exactly the way you want it.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• nowhere892's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 13
nowhere892 Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hi Steveo,

Yes, I had ordered the XPA-5 Gen 2 about 2 months ago. I too prefer to turn off Audyssey and manually set the Parametric EQ settings.

My Denon 1712 doesn't have pre-outs which is why I demoed the Marantz SR-7008. My Goldenear dealer said "even though they are the same family Marantz uses higher quality parts in the amp section and they use faster more powerful processors as well.
The 7008 and 9 have better quality amps and sound much better". No one in my family ever said that the Marantz sounded any different from my Denon. Using the XPA-5 meant I didn't have to turn up the volume knob as much but couldn't tell any difference in sound.

Believe me, I was anxious to get a new toy but couldn't justify it. I've always preferred a more detailed sound. For as long as I remember I always turned up the treble to whatever I'm listening to and have always used a built-in eq.

There are those that say that external amps don't all sound the same. Since I limited myself to just the XPA-5 I can't make any conclusions.

Are there any decent processors that come with a parametric eq? Haven't come across any. I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had that option. So it seems my only options are using a Denon, Marantz or Yamaha receiver using the pre-outs with an amp. As Wayne said, many say that there is no comparison using separates vs an integrated amp.

I ruled out better receivers like the NAD T758 and Cambridge Azur 751becasue they lack an eq.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 9 months ago

Steveo wrote: So Moderator if I understand you correctly then yes the exact Parametric EQ settings I have on the Yamaha will be amplified to XPA5 if I get one? Could you confirm that with a simple yes if that's true.

Yes. :)

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 9 months ago

nowhere892 wrote: Using the XPA-5 meant I didn't have to turn up the volume knob as much but couldn't tell any difference in sound.

That is surprising, based on my experience. Makes me wonder what else could be "up" with the system, or your use of it, to make that the case. Not that surprised that the Denon vs Marantz pre/pro sections sounded similar though, kind of the same horse in different colors.

• georgemrvossr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 11
georgemrvossr Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi guys ... Been reading your post and wanted to throw out a couple of thoughts. These speakers are very revealing and I mean very revealing. They can be completely transparent and have a really wide and deep sound stage with amazing harmonics. I currently have my Triton 2's in my high end system (Levinson Preamp and McIntosh power amps) and I've never been able to so easily tell differences in cables and other changes to the system than with these speakers in place.Beginning to wonder if I really need more expensive speakers at all. Sometimes, the preamp section in A/V receivers is a weak spot so adding an external amp to them doesn't always help ... just makes bad sound louder. I've demo'd the Emotiva amps and pre's and while I decided to go a different way ... I think their amps are definitely their strong point(Not excited about their pre). So ... you may need a bit better Preamp in order to get the most from your speakers or an upgraded amp. These speakers are so affordable they are often purchased with receivers that simply can't allow them to really sing the way they are capable of. Yes ... they can sound good and with a great A/V receiver (Anthem or NAD might be worth taking a look at). The good news is that the Triton's will not be your limiting factor anytime soon. Just may need to take a step up the ladder when you are ready to get the most out of the system. Hope this helps! George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 with Emotiva XPA 5