file Replacing original power cord-any issues?

• odedia's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
odedia Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hi. One triton power cord is too short for my needs.

I remember my dealer recommending it to replace the original power cord if possible.

Would I be better off replacing it we an off-the-shelf standard power cord or better to get a short extension cord? Is there anything special in the original power cord that I need to verify in the third party cable? Note that I live in Israel (220v, European plug).

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Dear Odedia,
I know you will probably be looking for an answer from the Moderator Dude, someone who knows what he is talking about. So I should just wait for him to answer, but here are my 2 cents worth:
I live in Thailand, so use 240VAC. It is a related animal, but not the same at the US 110VAC. Power cords a re a strongly, hotly debated topic for audiophiles, many have to have the most wonderful, best and biggest made, read MOST EXPENSIVE. They can "Hear the difference". And others laugh and call anything above normal wire as SNAKE OIL.
I have no idea who is "right", but would say that IF you get a chance, you should listen for yourself with some good cords and see if you can hear a difference.
That said, I would personally NOT use an extension cord and introduce an extra connection, one that might degrade the sound and the connection (might make a place for a loose connection). As a minimum I WOULD use a decent quality cable with a decent plug on the end. As we were building our house, my wife asked me to make her a long cord to use to water the garden--she wanted to run a submersible pump with it. I bought and terminated a modest wire around 30 m for her. I cannot say what the gauge was, so will not lie. It worked fine. Next time I saw it, it was burnt in numerous places, the insulation coming off everywhere. It was a dangerous mess. The workers had got it and used it to plug in their welder.
Said that to say this, too much electricity running through too small a wire is NOT SAFE and NOT PRETTY. I did not hear the sound of their welding machines as they were melting my wire, but I would guess it did not sound the best either.
Enjoy whatever you come up with and let us know.
We can all learn from each other, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 8 months ago
An aftermarket power cord would be best. A good quality extension cord will also work.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• odedia's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
odedia Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Thanks everyone.

Moderator guy, any official recommendations on this topic?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I like to lay low on these controversial topics....

We use aftermarket power cords on all our electronics and powered Triton speakers on our Trade Show demo systems. They look like firehoses. We have used several brands, nothing too expensive. Combined with everything else, the show systems always sound superb. I'm sure the power cords play some part in that... :)

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I like to lay low on these controversial topics....

We use aftermarket power cords on all our electronics and powered Triton speakers in our Trade Show demo systems. They look like firehoses. We have used several brands, nothing too expensive. Combined with everything else, the show systems always sound superb. I'm sure the power cords play some part in that... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Replacing original power cord-any issues?