file Triton Two and another Sub/LFE question

• Coopaw's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Coopaw Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I just picked up a pair of Triton Two's and a Sat 50C today to upgrade my system from Def Tech BP-7006 and a LCR 2300. These were floor models so already broken in.

I have a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver, an Epik Legend Subwoofer with dual 12" in seal enclosure running through a Antimode 8803 Cinema DSP. The side and back surrounds are Def tech BiPolar in wall units.

I know there are several ways to hookup the Subs and I know the best way is to experiment but I thought I would ask for some suggestion. My room is over 3500 CU FT. I am limited to only one choice for speaker locations and the T2's are only about 6" from the back wall, I know not ideal but...

Right now I have them hooked up with the speaker wires and set to large with Sub on XO at 80 hz. Antimode Eq'ing the sub with Yamaha YPAO PEQ the rest of the speakers. This is how i was wired with the Def Techs.

So hear are several options I was considering and would appreciate comments.

Leave it as is and/or adjust the XO freq.

The AVR has two sub outs so I could Y the T2"s on one output and put the Epik with the Antimode on the other output

I could run both T2's and the Epik of one output and use the Antimode to flatten out the combined peaks in all the subs. I would have to try to level match them first of course.

I could use the Antimode on the output to the T2's subs only.

Like I said, I know experimentation is the way to go but would appreciate any insight any one might have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I think you have it set up correctly. You have the Triton Two's set up the way GE recommends (using speaker inputs only and the processor setting on large). This is how I have my Triton Two's set up. After my T2's were broken in I did try and hook the sub portion up via the sub out LFE on my processor. I did not like the way they sounded. However, I always encourage experimentation. I think it is part of the fun of our hobby. You should set your system up the way you like it. Every room, system and personal tastes are different.
I will say that I initially had my T2's set about 6" from the back wall. I moved them forward a foot and a half and it made a HUGE difference.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I am listening to music at the moment (a rarity, usually just HT in this room). I have them set to large, sub off and I can pull them out a foot or so for listening and they do sound incredible! I just can't leave them out in the traffic pattern normally. I can't believe the improvement over my Def techs. I'm really going to have to play around using the external sub and the Antimode.

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hi Coopaw, hope you are enjoying the new speakers. I agree with MOBrien but will add a few points:

1) Set sub XO to 120 Hz as LFE content can run up that high
2) You didn't mention Center XO, should be 120 Hz
3) The Room EQ combo is anybody's guess, but I think if you do the sub first and then run the full system on the YPAO you will get the best possible results

Adding the LFE connection to Tritons adds cost and complexity with NO benefits in a system like yours with additional LFE-content outboard subs.

Moderator wrote: Hi Coopaw, hope you are enjoying the new speakers. I agree with MOBrien but will add a few points:

1) Set sub XO to 120 Hz as LFE content can run up that high
2) You didn't mention Center XO, should be 120 Hz
3) The Room EQ combo is anybody's guess, but I think if you do the sub first and then run the full system on the YPAO you will get the best possible results

Adding the LFE connection to Tritons adds cost and complexity with NO benefits in a system like yours with additional LFE-content outboard subs.

When the AVR is set to large for the mains and XO the sub at 120, does that send ALL info below 120 to the sub or only LFE info. I wouldn't want to filter off everything that is not LFE info, like from music that doesn't have an LFE track. Maybe that only happens when you set the mains to small. I don't want those 1200 watt subs in the T2's sitting there doing nothing.

Sorry, just trying to get my head around all this and I"m really not all that new to this hobby. %^).

Thanks for the reply

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

When the AVR is set to large for the mains and XO the sub at 120, does that send ALL info below 120 to the sub or only LFE info.

Only LFE, as long as the sub is set to Yes and front mains to Large - and no "double-bass" type option has been selected.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Two and another Sub/LFE question