file Receiver recommendation for Triton Sevens

• Cphill44's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Cphill44 Posted 11 years 4 days ago
As a strapped for cash college student (that isn't afraid to work to make an investment) I bought two Triton Seven towers with the thought that they are a great option to build on as I continue to work. I was given an old pioneer receiver that my father had replaced to try before I bought something else. This receiver was, at least at some point, a solid piece of equipment, but it doesn't drive the seven's very well resulting in absolutely no low end.

All-in-all I'm now looking to pull some additional hours in order to pick up a home theater receiver that I can use as I continue to build onto the system in the future. I have been looking into some factory refurbished Marantz (specifically the SR6007 or SR5007) and Yamaha (the RX-V773WA) but I am still early in my research process and could be overshooting what I need. I would like to stay as cost effective as possible, but could try to make a reach if I need to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
SanthoshEapen Posted 11 years 4 days ago
I drive my Triton sevens with a 16 year old Yamaha RX 595 integrated amp. My speakers sound sublime. A quick look on ebay has brought up a few that are all inexpensive. I believe the RX produces better stereo sound than the more expensive RXV amps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cphill44

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
SanthoshEapen Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Sorry! I just re-read your post and see that you want to get a home theater system! :ohmy:

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Hi Cphill44,
I can certainly relate to being a cash strapped college student. I LIKE the fact that you realize you have to work for the things you want in this life. Good for you!!!! We need a LOT more people like you in this world.
In your situation buying used is probably the best way to go for now.
I will say this, but it probably won't help you right now, but the speakers you got can sound better and better with the better electronics you can get to drive them. The great thing is they can stay the same as you "grow" or develop your system.
I don't know if you ebay, I don't. but you might find something there. Do you know audiogon.com?
They are great for used stuff and recommendations.
Just a suggestion or two, because we don't know what kind of music you like to listen to, nor what size room you have, like it loud or like it more pure? IF rock and roll and louder, then there are lots of solid state amps and receivers out there. IF you like smaller, intimate, pure sound, look for tube amps.
For surround sound, you need a processor to send the signals to all the right places, but TRY to get one with PRE OUTS, so you can add stand alone amps later for the different channels, then you can grow your system a bit at a time as you can afford it.
Whichever way you go, what ever you get, please keep us informed and let us know how you are getting on. This is a fun journey.
Enjoy, God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Cphill44's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
Cphill44 Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Last edit: 11 years 4 days ago by Cphill44. Reason: typo's info_outline
At the moment, they are in a 12' x 18' room in my apartment. However, I'm graduating in December and moving on to medical school next year so the room size is likely to change. I listen to all types of music, but rock is likely a larger portion of my listening. I also plan to use this as my primary home theater system (movie/shows are always watched at my place), and will play them loud from time to time when I need to break the monotony of studying.
Based on your earlier recommendation, it sounds like I need to look for a solid state amp/receiver and a processor with pre outs. Do you or anyone else have any specific recommendations so I can know where to start and fast track my research? It may be that I have to bite the bullet and settle on something to just get the job done for now and replace/upgrade later. However, I prefer to go ahead and scrounge up the money for something I can continue to use to save in the long run.
Thanks

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Cphill44:

Check out emotiva.com. Click on "Two great lines are coming together... Welcome Sherbourn to the family... and get some incredible deals". Killer deals to say the least. :)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Receiver recommendation for Triton Sevens